What was the last version of Quicken for Mac that resided totally on my computer?

genemike1
genemike1 Member
What was the last version of Quicken for Mac that resided totally on my computer?

Best Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Every version of Quicken Mac resides on your computer, up through the current day. that's both the program and your data file. You have the option of enabling syncing to Quicken Cloud if you wish to use the mobile app or web interface, but your data isn't copied to Quicken Cloud unless you enable Sync. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • jacobs
    Answer ✓
    Yes, the current version is compatible with Catalina.

Yes, the current version will import data from Quicken Mac 2007. It sends your data file to a cloud-based server to extract the data from Quicken 2007's quirky database, downloads that back into modern Quicken Mac for importing, and deletes the file from the server to your data remains secure. 

If you're getting another computer, it can be helpful to run them side by side as you make sure every account balances and all your holdings imported correctly. If you're staying with the same computer and upgrading the operating system, that's not possible since Quicken 2007 won't run at all on Catalina. In that case, I suggest you print our some reports showing each of your account balances and all your security holdings, so you can carefully compare after the migration. For most people, it's pretty simple and straightforward, perhaps with some minor rounding errors in investment accounts to clean up. I also recommend rebuilding the account indexes in Quicken 2007 (Command-Option-B) prior to the conversion; that can potentially clean up some minor corruption in the old data file which could become problematic during the conversion. 

There's a bit of a learning curve to modern Quicken Mac. It does most of the same things as Quicken 2007, but the user interface is quite a bit different and it does some things a bit differently. I grew to like the modern Quicken better than Quicken 2007 -- although there are still some missing features I miss -- but it took me awhile of working with the new program to reprogram my brain and fingers to work well with the new Quicken. ;) So don't panic or get frustrated when things are different; give yourself some time and hopefully you'll come to like it. 

Answers

• jacobs
    Answer ✓
    Every version of Quicken Mac resides on your computer, up through the current day. that's both the program and your data file. You have the option of enabling syncing to Quicken Cloud if you wish to use the mobile app or web interface, but your data isn't copied to Quicken Cloud unless you enable Sync. 
  • When I click Yes to whether the question was answered, I get an error message?? Anyway, thanks!

I think I know the answer to whether the current version is compatible with OS 10.15, Catalina. Yes, correct?

Will the current version import data from Quicken for Mac 2007?
  • jacobs
    Answer ✓
    Yes, the current version is compatible with Catalina.

Yes, the current version will import data from Quicken Mac 2007. It sends your data file to a cloud-based server to extract the data from Quicken 2007's quirky database, downloads that back into modern Quicken Mac for importing, and deletes the file from the server to your data remains secure. 

If you're getting another computer, it can be helpful to run them side by side as you make sure every account balances and all your holdings imported correctly. If you're staying with the same computer and upgrading the operating system, that's not possible since Quicken 2007 won't run at all on Catalina. In that case, I suggest you print our some reports showing each of your account balances and all your security holdings, so you can carefully compare after the migration. For most people, it's pretty simple and straightforward, perhaps with some minor rounding errors in investment accounts to clean up. I also recommend rebuilding the account indexes in Quicken 2007 (Command-Option-B) prior to the conversion; that can potentially clean up some minor corruption in the old data file which could become problematic during the conversion. 

There's a bit of a learning curve to modern Quicken Mac. It does most of the same things as Quicken 2007, but the user interface is quite a bit different and it does some things a bit differently. I grew to like the modern Quicken better than Quicken 2007 -- although there are still some missing features I miss -- but it took me awhile of working with the new program to reprogram my brain and fingers to work well with the new Quicken. ;) So don't panic or get frustrated when things are different; give yourself some time and hopefully you'll come to like it. 
  • Forgive me if I exceed your generosity with advice but I DO appreciate it!

When you asked if I were getting a new computer and suggested a parallel action, it opened an outstanding opportunity. I am not getting a new one but I have four of these, two are backups and one is blank. I can easily transfer the contents of the current one in use to the blank one and proceed to upgrade it without concern for timing or mistakes. I should have thought of that in the first place. They are all identical and are mid-2012 MacBook Pros. running OS 10.11 El Capitan. All are faced with the same limitations on their software as with Quicken. Also, when they have Catalina, they will have the newest OS they can run.

That makes me a little nervous about the Subscription Version of Quicken. The next Quicken update will possibly render these machines unable to run it. What happens when a subscriber discontinues his subscription? Is the software somehow rendered inoperable? Their policy says the software can be installed in an unlimited number of devices in the same household. Can the same version be downloaded later?

That brings me to a related issue - Along the way as I got cautious about the direction of things, I bought versions of Quicken 2015 and 2017 for Mac. The 2015 launches right up and asks me if I want to import data from several sources including 2007. When I launch Quicken for Mac 2017, I get a strange message that says I have no internet connection. I suspicion it is their way of telling me that 2017 will not run on my system.

So, maybe I should consider simply upgrading from 2007 to either 2015 or 2017. Wonder if either runs on Catalina? Your thoughts??

Gene
  • jacobs
    Quicken 2015 and 2017 will both work on Catalina. I'm not sure why you're seeing that message launching Quicken 2017.

The reason I suggest considering the current subscription version is because of the progress that has been made on Quicken Mac through the years. I especially would advise against using Quicken 2015. That was the first year of the re-written Quicken Mac, and it lack many, many features which have been added over the past 6+ years. The 2017 version includes tow years of enhancements, but still lacks the improvements of the past 4+ years. Yes, it costs money to buy the current version, now and ongoing in the future. But in my opinion, you're getting a better program. If you're going to finally make the leap from Quicken 2007 to the modern Quicken Mac, why make it harder on yourself using an out-of-date, less complete version of the program? 

So what happens if you upgrade to the subscription version, and sometime in the next year, they say the next release will require Big Sure or later? What is supposed to happen is that Quicken will be aware of your operating system and not prompt you o allow you to update. The existing program you have installed will still run; you just won't be able to install new updates. 
  • garysmith87
    garysmith87 Member ✭✭✭✭
    I can verify that Quicken Mac subscription is way improved from any of the non-subscription Quicken Mac versions of 2015, 2016 and 2017.

There's just way too much that is new and improved to miss out on.  Which includes increased functionality of the software.

Plus, Quicken Mac subscription is being updated almost every month.  No one knows what lurks behind each update.  Sometimes I'm even pleasantly surprised that it's something I actually want to use.  LOL!

Kind of like Christmas when you open that present and you get that video game you really want but thought you were getting socks.  
  • Thank you both!

I think I am getting the message from Q 2017 because it probably won’t run on my El Capitan OS and is therefore not properly seeking the internet connection.

So, I am pretty well convinced that the Subscription Version is the right choice but I still have that lingering concern - Let’s say I am three years into it and none of the updates are benefiting me because of my OS and equipment limitations. What happens to my software if I discontinue the annual subscription payments. Will my software still run or will it be disabled? If my heirs attempt to run it for info, will it launch and report?
  • jacobs
    If you let your subscription lapse, yes, you can continue to use Quicken. You lose the ability to download anything (transactions, security quotes), to get updates, and to get free support. But you can enter transactions manually, and you can generate reports. You also lose roughly the right 25% of your Quicken window to a permanent notice about upgrading; if you can live with that, you can keep on going.

As for how long you'll be able to continue with your old 2012 MacBook Pro running Catalina, there are lots of variables. Will you have any other software which cannot run on Catalina? Will your web browser(s) not keep up with ever-evolving web security standards? And perhaps most of concern, how long will you be able to depend on the old hardware? You're asking what-if questions about Quicken three years from now, but your Mac will be 13 years old at that point -- how long are you going to depend on running it without replacing the Mac? 
This discussion has been closed.