merging subcategory transactions into category

Options
Stumped!
Stumped! Member ✭✭
Simple, likely stupid, question. How do I merge a subcategory that is no longer needed into the parent category? When you delete a subcategory does it automatically assign the parent category to the impacted transactions?

Answers

• Stumped!
    Stumped! Member ✭✭
    Options
    It looks like the system creates a separate subcategory. I.e., I believe that when I deleted the subcategory (renamed, "auto-to merge"), Quicken created a subcategory named "Automobile (other)".

I was under the impression that you could designate transactions in either a parent category or one of its subcategories and that reports would accumulate the two into the parent category. It appears to me now that when you assign a subcategory, you can no longer assign a transaction to the parent category, hence the "automobile (other)."
  • Stumped!
    Stumped! Member ✭✭
    Options
    I am wrong. If you delete a subcategory, the transactions therein go to "uncategorized" - inexplicably. So I still don't know how to merge a subcategory's transactions into the parent category.
  • Stumped!
    Stumped! Member ✭✭
    Options
    Got it. Rename the subcategory the same as the category. Then move the sub to the parent and it will ask if you want to merge them.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    @Stumped!  You've come up with one solution, but there's an easier approach. To merge a sub-category into a category, first drag the sub-category to the same (top) level as the main category. Then click on one and command-click on the other to highlight them both, and click the Merge button. There's no need to rename anything. 

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.