How can I create a simple register account in the Investing group of accounts?

Mirek
Mirek Member ✭✭
edited January 2022 in Investing (Windows)
Many years ago I have created few accounts which are in the Investing category/group of the accounts in Quicken. I do not track securities or run downloads on these accounts, and all these accounts display regular registers, same as banking accounts in Quicken. I use these registers to manually update the balances to see if I am making or loosing money. The existing accounts in the Investing group/type show account type = Asset with account intent = Spending
Recently I had to created a similar investment account, but I was not able to create it within, or move it to Investing group. For some reason my Quicken Deluxe (years ago I used Home & Business version) wants to track securities, and it does not allow me to create another similar account with the simple register for manual update of balances under Investing group of accounts. I have tried different methods, but did not find the way. Yet the other accounts are still there, and they serve well the desired purpose.

Answers

• Quicken Jade
    Quicken Jade Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Mirek, I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing this issue. If I'm understanding correctly it sounds like the issue you're experiencing is that you are missing transactions in your investing account. This would be Simple Investing which only tracks positions. To switch to complete investing, please go to Tools> Account List > Then click Edit on the account you're referring to > and select "Complete Positions and Transactions" at the bottom left corner. Let me know if this resolves your issue, thanks! 
  • Mirek
    Mirek Member ✭✭
    No, this is NOT what I asked at all. This was NOT about transaction, and NOT about tracing
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Mirek You need to initially create the account as an Asset Account (Add Account, Asset, Other Assets).  After the account is created, you can edit the account details.  Under the Display options, you can then have this asset account display with Investment Accounts (Account intent).  
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can create a Banking type account (e.g., Checking) with intent Investment and the account will move to the Investing area of the Account Bar.
    By the way, "Simple" is now a technical term in Quicken, referring to Investment accounts for which only a Dashboard is displayed instead of a Transaction List. I parsed your question to mean you want to use a Banking type register for what in real life is an investment account.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    I am able to create an Asset account register and set the intent to Investment (or Spending) using Quicken Premier R36.38:

Select Tools > Add Account...

Open the account
    Press Ctrl + Shift + E

Select Investment (or Spending) in the Account intent pull-down menu

Select OK

• Mirek
    Mirek Member ✭✭
    Newly created account, either Asset or Banking account allow ONLY Saving, Spending, Savings or Asset. Please note, the legacy accounts I have now grouped under Investments in display options they show Type = Asset with account intent = Spending.
  • Mirek
    Mirek Member ✭✭
    Are you using Deluxe version of Quicken?
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Sherlock said:
    I am able to create an Asset account register and set the intent to Investment using Quicken Premier R36.38
    So am I. I was just looking in the wrong place.
    Mirek said:
    Newly created account, either Asset or Banking account allow ONLY Saving, Spending, Savings or Asset.
    Not true. As @Sherlock illustrated above, you can set the Intent to Investment.
    Mirek said:
    Please note, the legacy accounts I have now grouped under Investments in display options they show Type = Asset with account intent = Spending.
    It makes no sense to me that an account with Spending intent would appear under Investing. But anything's possible, I guess. You can still accomplish your goal with Intent = Investment.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Mirek said:
    Are you using Deluxe version of Quicken?
    No, Premier as shown in my signature. Are you using Starter? That might explain this.

• Mirek
    Mirek Member ✭✭
    Using Deluxe...
This discussion has been closed.