How do I install Quicken on Windows? [Win 11, S Mode]

JMKR
JMKR Member
I have a new HP laptop with Windows. I downloaded the program but Windows won't run it without leaving S mode, and it is recommending that I not do that. So, how do I install Quicken without compromising my computer? I just find it hard to believe that that one of the largest software companies in the world would choose to be incompatible with the largest operating system in the world. Doesn't seem to be a sustainable business model. There must be a legitimate way around it. Thank you

Best Answer

• JMKR
    JMKR Member
    Answer ✓
    It is unfortunate that the responses posted here did not answer my question. For others with the same question, note that Quicken does NOT work and is NOT compatible with Windows S Mode. So unless you can or are willing to take your operating system out of S mode, you will not be able to use Quicken. There is not a work around, other than using a version of Windows that does not have S mode.

Answers

• garysmith87
    garysmith87 Member ✭✭✭✭
    I can assure you that Quicken for Windows...works just fine with Windows.  

Why would you think that a software product designed to work with Windows and with "Windows" in its name and on the box would be incompatible with the "largest operating system in the world"?

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    S Mode is only for "Store Apps".  Quicken is a Desktop application, it can't run in S Mode.  And it would take a total rewrite of Quicken for that to happen, which isn't going to happen.

Quicken Inc is in fact a small company you are thinking of Intuit, which sold Quicken years ago, but even if they didn't the decisions are made by the size of the company, they are made by the size of the revenue of the product.  And Intuit would have never sold it if Quicken was in fact a big money maker for them.  It wasn't, in fact it was so small they didn't even break it out in their financial numbers.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    BTW Even Microsoft doesn't seem to buy their own hype about how good S Mode is.  With Windows 11 it is only available in the Home version, and only if it was put on there when the machine was made or if it is in that mode when upgraded from Windows 10.  And once you switch out of it you can't go back.

The bottom line is that Microsoft realized that there isn't any way they are going to convince the whole Windows development/use world to go to S Mode "new apps".
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • JMKR
    JMKR Member
    Answer ✓
    It is unfortunate that the responses posted here did not answer my question. For others with the same question, note that Quicken does NOT work and is NOT compatible with Windows S Mode. So unless you can or are willing to take your operating system out of S mode, you will not be able to use Quicken. There is not a work around, other than using a version of Windows that does not have S mode.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    S mode is a feature-limited edition of Windows 10 designed primarily for low-end devices in the education market. It has a faster initial setup and login process, and allows devices to be provisioned using a USB drive with the "Set Up School PCs" app.

Windows 10 editions - Wikipedia
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
This discussion has been closed.