Where has my previous reconciling gone?

bugmenow
bugmenow Member ✭✭
I just had the new Quicken Deluxe 6.4.5 installed after running 2007 for years without any problems. Big Sur would not support 2007... so it was a forced march. Now so many things have changed...but one unfortunate one is that ALL of my previous reconciling of ALL of my dozens of accounts for years and years is gone. I start to reconcile and it says this account has not been reconciled. And the History button is grayed so can't click. Has anyone experienced this? Help!

Best Answer

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Let's take a step back; I think I realize one important point which might be confusing you. Click on your checking account in the left sidebar. Does the transaction register on the right include a "Clr" column? I'm guessing it does not. If not, click on the Columns icon and check "Clr" so this column is visible. Now you should see that all your previously reconciled transactions show green checkmarks in the Clr column — the equivalent of the "R" in the Clr column of Quicken 2007. That's how you can see that all your reconciled transactions are still reconciled. 

I'd suggest starting with the last month you previously reconciled in Quicken 2007. Pull out or download your bank statement for that month. Click Reconcile, on the first screen, select Use Statement Balance. Enter the ending amount and ending date of the bank statement, and click 
    Next. If no old transactions became unreconciled during the import process, and no adjustment transactions were created, there will be no transactions showing in the reconcile window, and the Statement Ending Balance and Quicken Balance will match, with a green "=" in the middle showing a Difference of $0.00. If so, click Finish. If there are any transactions, review why they might be showing up as unreconciled to see if you can resolve the situation. Once you've got the past in line, now you can reconcile the next month, and again if necessary, until you're up to the most recent month. 

Does that make sense? Does it work for you? Then you can repeat this process with your other accounts.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    bugmenow said:
    I just had the new Quicken Deluxe 6.4.5 installed after running 2007 for years without any problems. Big Sur would not support 2007... so it was a forced march. Now so many things have changed...but one unfortunate one is that ALL of my previous reconciling of ALL of my dozens of accounts for years and years is gone. I start to reconcile and it says this account has not been reconciled. And the History button is grayed so can't click. Has anyone experienced this? Help!
    Hello bugmenow,

Thank you so much for bringing this matter to the Quicken Community for input. I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this issue. First, I want to know: did you convert from the 2007 file when you first began in the newest version of the software? I see you are using 6.4.5, which is very good. I just want to be sure I understand which version of the program you were using, and where the old file was opened.

Thanks,

Quicken Jared 
  • Quicken September
    Quicken September Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello, @bugmenow.

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community with your question, though I sincerely apologize for the trouble. I am sad to hear that your reconciliation history did not make it through the conversion process. Unfortunately, nothing is perfect and some data may be lost throughout the conversion, especially if it is an older file with a lot of data. 

Sadly, there is not a lot that we can do as far as troubleshooting this. If you still have the original 2007 file, you could try to re-convert it into a new file to see if your history comes through there - however, I can't promise that your reconciliation history will transfer over to the new version of Quicken.

Again, I apologize for the inconvenience. If you have any other questions or need further support, please let us know. Thank you. 

-Quicken September 
  • bugmenow
    bugmenow Member ✭✭
    Sounds like nothing can be done...sigh... I can't imagine that this would be happening to everyone that installed this update with no complaints? Sheesh!
    Thanks Jared, but I'm not sure what you mean..." did you convert from the 2007 file when you first began in the newest version of the software?" The Mac store that installed Quicken, upgraded me to Big Sur and then ordered the download of Quicken Deluxe for installation and then launched I'm assuming. When I opened the new file...a lot of things had changed in a big way...which I'm getting use to...but oh the headache of reconciling now.
    And thanks September...I think you're right...I'm outta luck! I do have the 2007 program on my older Mac, but of course the register's haven't been updated for a couple of years since getting the new Mac. And I wouldn't know how (nor be comfortable) trying to to re-convert.
    I must say I prefer the older version of Quicken because there's more versatility and it's way more intuitive than the new one. Thanks again for the attempts to inform! ; )
  • Quicken September
    Hello, @jacobs.

Thank you for taking the time to add to this discussion. As always, we appreciate your input and assistance! 

-Quicken September
  • Quicken September
    Hi, @bugmenow.

Thank you for your response, though, I apologize for the inconvenience. As @jacobs mentioned - even though there isn't necessarily a history of your reconciliations that transfered over, your transactions, though not labeled as reconciled, are still essentially reconciled. If you reconcile your accounts on the new version, you will be able to mark them as reconciled and start a reconciliation history moving forward. Again, I apologize for the trouble. If you have any further questions or need additional support, please reach back out as we are always happy to help. Thank you!

Thanks again, @jacobs!

-Quicken September
  • bugmenow
    bugmenow Member ✭✭
    Whew! Does that make me feel better! Thank you so much! So if I understand you, @jacobs...I can pick up where I left off?
    Great...except I didn't have two options: "Reconcile From Current Balance" and "Use Statement Balance" in the previous software. The old software brought up the Ending Balance and date from the last reconciled statement. This new version brings up the Current Balance amount and current date. And because I can't see any dots or checks or designation that a transaction has been reconciled...I'm not sure where I left off. I don't reconcile every account every month. I would like to Reconcile from my statements...not Online Auto Reconcile to start with until I understand the drill. Can you help?
  • jacobs
    Answer ✓
    Let's take a step back; I think I realize one important point which might be confusing you. Click on your checking account in the left sidebar. Does the transaction register on the right include a "Clr" column? I'm guessing it does not. If not, click on the Columns icon and check "Clr" so this column is visible. Now you should see that all your previously reconciled transactions show green checkmarks in the Clr column — the equivalent of the "R" in the Clr column of Quicken 2007. That's how you can see that all your reconciled transactions are still reconciled. 

I'd suggest starting with the last month you previously reconciled in Quicken 2007. Pull out or download your bank statement for that month. Click Reconcile, on the first screen, select Use Statement Balance. Enter the ending amount and ending date of the bank statement, and click 
    Next. If no old transactions became unreconciled during the import process, and no adjustment transactions were created, there will be no transactions showing in the reconcile window, and the Statement Ending Balance and Quicken Balance will match, with a green "=" in the middle showing a Difference of $0.00. If so, click Finish. If there are any transactions, review why they might be showing up as unreconciled to see if you can resolve the situation. Once you've got the past in line, now you can reconcile the next month, and again if necessary, until you're up to the most recent month. 

Does that make sense? Does it work for you? Then you can repeat this process with your other accounts.
  • bugmenow
    bugmenow Member ✭✭
    I am so grateful to the smart dudes and dude-etts that are on this forum! Thanks so much @jacobs for the clarification on all of the new register/reconcile items...and your clear and concise directions. That Columns drop down menu is the Key to The Universe. This has been a slow and arduous process...but I did it! Retraining the brain after all this time is challenging. I'm sure I'll get faster...but learning as you go sure slows things down. Some things that I could have done in literally seconds are taking me a few minutes to process, do it wrong, figure it out, do it right and finally get there. I appreciate your help so much.
    Spoiler Alert: I'm sure I'll get stumped again...be on the look out!
  • jacobs
    @bugmenow I'm glad you were able to sort it out. (For that issue, for now, at least!) Yes, there is quite a learning curve for users who have used Quicken 2007 for many, many years. The good news is that modern Quicken Mac can do most (not all, but most) things we could do in Quicken 2007, and it does some even better — but learning the nuances of the interface and procedures does take some time.

I find that my fingers still sometimes do things like press Tab twice instead of once while entering a transaction because I typed Tab twice for some 20 years with the old user interface, and it takes time to re-program my brain-hand-eye coordination. I can only tell you it does get better over time. And you will get back up to speed... but it will take awhile. ;)

Best wishes! Post again the next time you get stymied.
This discussion has been closed.