Capital One

Since the last update I have nit been able to reauthorize my Capital One credit cards to Quicken. When I try to re-link them to my capital one. Quicken treats them as a new accounts.

Best Answer

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021 Answer ✓
    (EDITED 12/22/2021:  Added two simple steps to keep the Move Transactions process from pushing pop-ups for each Reconciled transaction.  Not including these two steps will significantly slow down the Move Transactions process.  The added steps are in italics below.) 
    Well, since it wants to set up the accounts as new accounts instead of linking, you might want to consider letting them set up as new accounts...back up your data file first.  Once that is done:
    • Select one of the new accounts and delete the opening balance. 
    • Also delete any transactions that would be duplicates of transactions already entered in the corresponding old account.
    • Go to the corresponding old account and left click on the opening balance transaction, scroll down to the last transaction and while holding down the Shift key left click on it.  Now all transactions should be shaded.
    • Right click anywhere on the shaded transactions > left click on "Reconciled status" > left click on "Not reconciled".
    • Right click anywhere on the shaded transactions and left click on "Move Transaction(s)."
    • Select the appropriate newly set up account to move the transactions to and then click OK.  This process will not only move all of the transactions to the new account but it will also update any transfer categories accordingly.
    • Go to the new account the transactions were moved to and confirm that the account register balance matches the online balance.  If it doesn't you will need to look for the transactions overlap area to see if there are any duplicate transactions or if there are any transactions that are missing.  Check to make sure all transactions transferred from the old account to the new account.  Use your statements/online account transactions data to assist on this if needed.
    • Once it has been confirmed the account balance is accurate, Reconcile the account making sure that all transactions are marked as R.
    • Repeat for each of the other accounts.
    • When this process is completed for all accounts, you can close or delete the old accounts.
    You should now be able to run OSU and update your new accounts just like in the past.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    What you might want to try:
    1. Back up your data file in case anything goes wrong.
    2. Go to the General tab of Account Details for each account and remove the Financial Institution information from the upper right quadrant of that tab.
    3. After the last of all of the accounts have had this information deleted, go to the Online Services tab and click on Set Up Now which will start the setup process.
    4. During this process, make sure the downloaded data is linked to the appropriate accounts in Quicken.
    5. This process might enter some transactions into the account registers that are duplicates of what is already entered there.  Any duplicates that do get entered will need to be manually deleted.  Duplicates should not happen, again, in the future.
    Did this resolve the issue for you?
    There is another option you can take if this did not resolve it for you so be sure to let me know.

• Thank you done that multiple time, but each time it refuses to link it to the proper card regardless that that is my choice and treats it as a new card account. This only occurs with Capital One cards.
  • Boatnmaniac
    edited December 2021 Answer ✓
    (EDITED 12/22/2021:  Added two simple steps to keep the Move Transactions process from pushing pop-ups for each Reconciled transaction.  Not including these two steps will significantly slow down the Move Transactions process.  The added steps are in italics below.) 
    Well, since it wants to set up the accounts as new accounts instead of linking, you might want to consider letting them set up as new accounts...back up your data file first.  Once that is done:
    • Select one of the new accounts and delete the opening balance. 
    • Also delete any transactions that would be duplicates of transactions already entered in the corresponding old account.
    • Go to the corresponding old account and left click on the opening balance transaction, scroll down to the last transaction and while holding down the Shift key left click on it.  Now all transactions should be shaded.
    • Right click anywhere on the shaded transactions > left click on "Reconciled status" > left click on "Not reconciled".
    • Right click anywhere on the shaded transactions and left click on "Move Transaction(s)."
    • Select the appropriate newly set up account to move the transactions to and then click OK.  This process will not only move all of the transactions to the new account but it will also update any transfer categories accordingly.
    • Go to the new account the transactions were moved to and confirm that the account register balance matches the online balance.  If it doesn't you will need to look for the transactions overlap area to see if there are any duplicate transactions or if there are any transactions that are missing.  Check to make sure all transactions transferred from the old account to the new account.  Use your statements/online account transactions data to assist on this if needed.
    • Once it has been confirmed the account balance is accurate, Reconcile the account making sure that all transactions are marked as R.
    • Repeat for each of the other accounts.
    • When this process is completed for all accounts, you can close or delete the old accounts.
    You should now be able to run OSU and update your new accounts just like in the past.

• Mark Niles
    Mark Niles Member ✭✭✭
    Solution worked, but you need to approve every transaction move (dialog box pop-up). Takes a bit of time, but easier than other alternatives and losing data.
    Quicken Premier R37.52, Windows 10 Pro
  • Boatnmaniac
    Solution worked, but you need to approve every transaction move (dialog box pop-up). Takes a bit of time, but easier than other alternatives and losing data.
    Quicken Premier R37.52, Windows 10 Pro
    Ahhh...I see I left out two steps that will significant speed up the Move Transactions process.  That pop-up dialog applies to Reconciled transactions and it asks if you you really want to move them (since they are already Reconciled).  The 1st missing step is to change the Reconciled transactions to Not Reconciled or Cleared before doing Move Transactions.  The 2nd missing step is to change them all back to Reconciled once the Move Transactions is completed.  I'll edit my earlier post to add in these two missing steps.

• pdx1905
    pdx1905 Member
    This has been a problem for me for monthsnow. Quicken is trying to renew my membership. I will no longer allow renewal if this is not fixed. I have gone through all of this a few years ago just to have it reoccurring time after time.
  • tomm63
    tomm63 Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the workaround. I have been screwing with this for months. Let's hope it stays synced now.
This discussion has been closed.