How do I stop One Step Update from renaming my account nicknames?

TomVee
TomVee Member ✭✭
I have several accounts at the same financial institution. When I first set the accounts up, Quicken gave them unhelpful names, like xxxxxxxxxxxx19123. I edited the account names to make them more readable (like "Primary Checking", for example). Every time I run One Step Update, it changes them back. How can make it stop doing that?

Best Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Well, these days Express Web Connect accounts are using the same syncing to the Quicken Cloud dataset, so maybe that is it.

Warning the following might mess up Quicken Bill Manager "bills" if you are using them.

Try this change the name of the account.  Then create a new data file, in the new data file turn on Sync to Mobile/Web.  You can cancel out of creating an account.  Then select Edit -> Preferences -> Quicken ID & Cloud Accounts -> Cloud accounts associated with this Quicken ID(x) this will take you to a dialog where you can select the dataset for the original file and delete it.

Now go back to the original file (you can select it from the File menu), and when you run One Step Update again it will recreate the cloud dataset, and hopefully now be in sync with your data file and not try to change the account name to what it has for it.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • TomVee
    TomVee Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    That seemed to work. Thanks for your help.

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @TomVee,

What you are apparently seeing is very odd.  Quicken does not change the names of your Quicken accounts, and the One Step Update process (and the related banks) may have it's/their own "name" for accounts that download, but that should not affect the names you have used when you setup an account in Quicken (or have later edited).

Exactly which steps are you taking to "edit[ed] the account names to make them more readable"?  For example where in Quicken do you make those changes? Are you making these changes from the "Edit Account Details" tab, or somewhere else/

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• TomVee
    TomVee Member ✭✭
    I right-click on the account from the main screen, and a popup menu appears. The very first choice on that menu is "Edit/Delete Account". I choose that, and then I type the name I want to use into the "Account Name" box. Then I click "Okay". And the name stays the same the whole time I am using Quicken, until I do the One Step Update. When I do that, it changes the names back to what they were the first time I connected.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Sync to Mobile/Web has been known to do this.  Are you using sync to Mobile/Web?
    Signature:
  • TomVee
    TomVee Member ✭✭
    No. I don't use mobile/web/cloud.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Well, these days Express Web Connect accounts are using the same syncing to the Quicken Cloud dataset, so maybe that is it.

Warning the following might mess up Quicken Bill Manager "bills" if you are using them.

Try this change the name of the account.  Then create a new data file, in the new data file turn on Sync to Mobile/Web.  You can cancel out of creating an account.  Then select Edit -> Preferences -> Quicken ID & Cloud Accounts -> Cloud accounts associated with this Quicken ID(x) this will take you to a dialog where you can select the dataset for the original file and delete it.

Now go back to the original file (you can select it from the File menu), and when you run One Step Update again it will recreate the cloud dataset, and hopefully now be in sync with your data file and not try to change the account name to what it has for it.
    Signature:
  • TomVee
    TomVee Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    That seemed to work. Thanks for your help.
This discussion has been closed.