Categories window does not show Used categories

jskee
jskee Member ✭✭
The Categories window does not show Used Categories in the list. I've tried selecting both "Show All Categories" and "Used Categories" from the drop down next to the search box in the Categories window. Another post I found suggested checking a "Hide Used Categories" option under the drop down next to the pencil icon, but I don't have that option. Bug? Did the option move somewhere else?

Comments

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2021
    You are not seeing any used categories in the list? Just unused ones?

The Hide Used Categories option is from an older version. It moved to that menu at the top allowing you to show used or unused only.

I do notice a glitch in mine: with All selected, it says there are 244. With Used selected 216. With Unused selected, 18. 216+18 is 234. Not sure where the extra 10 are coming from, or maybe missing from one of the other filters. The 18 and 216 do seem to be the actual number of lines showing in those filters. I'm too lazy to try to go thru and compare the lists to see where the extras are coming from.

I'd suggest you report this using the Help > Report a Problem menu. That will not get you any feedback though. If you need feedback/help, I'd suggest contacting Quicken support so they can screen share and see the issue live.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Out of curiosity, when you see the filter at the top of the Categories window to Show All Categories, do you see any of the categories you use? Are any of the categories gray? I have a problem in a data file I user for testing, but not my live file, where all my used categories are gray. (I've reported this as it seems to be a bug, but Quicken does;t provide feedback on bug reports, so I don't know more about it at this time.)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • jacobs
    @RickO FWIW, While you have All Categories total more than Used + Unused, I have the opposite situation:  my All Categories total is less than the sum of Used + Unused. I have 63 Used and 167 Unused for a total of 230. But when I show all categories, the total is 221. (Why I show Income + Expense, the total is 219. But that makes sense, because there are two special categories, Adjustment and Transfer, which are neither income nor expense.) 
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2021
    Weird. But since everything else works and I've never gone looking for a category in the list that I couldn't find, I'm not going to worry about it.

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • jacobs
    RickO said:
    Weird. But since everything else works and I've never gone looking for a category in the list that I couldn't find, I'm not going to worry about it.

My antenna are up because I recently reported the problem I'm seeing in my test file in which used categories are gray. They work, but why are they gray? Worse, some gray main categories don't show the expand triangle at all, so sub-categories are not shown -- and can't be edited -- in the Categories window (even though they can be selected and used when entering a transaction). In some cases, the main category shows gray, but the sub-categories are in black. There is some weirdness in play here. I haven't seen other reports of this, but I recently reported it as a bug with screenshots of documentation. Of course, we get no feedback from bug reports, so I don't know what they've made of it sent I sent it into the black hole. ;)  I hadn't noticed the discrepancy in category numbers until you mentioned it. Might be unrelated, but now I'm paying more attention to categories. 
  • jskee
    jskee Member ✭✭
    > You are not seeing any used categories in the list? Just unused ones?

Correct, unless the used category is a top-level category, in which case it's greyed out.

> I'd suggest you report this using the Help > Report a Problem menu. That will not get you any feedback though. If you need feedback/help, I'd suggest contacting Quicken support so they can screen share and see the issue live.

I called support. They were able to replicate the issue in a new data file and walked me through reporting it as a problem.

FYI it hasn't been fixed in the December 2021 release.
  • jskee
    jskee Member ✭✭
    > @jacobs said:
    > My antenna are up because I recently reported the problem I'm seeing in my test file in which used categories are gray. They work, but why are they gray? Worse, some gray main categories don't show the expand triangle at all, so sub-categories are not shown -- and can't be edited -- in the Categories window (even though they can be selected and used when entering a transaction).

This sounds like the same issue I have.
  • jskee
    jskee Member ✭✭
    > @jacobs said:
    > Out of curiosity, when you see the filter at the top of the Categories window to Show All Categories, do you see any of the categories you use? Are any of the categories gray? I have a problem in a data file I user for testing, but not my live file, where all my used categories are gray. (I've reported this as it seems to be a bug, but Quicken does;t provide feedback on bug reports, so I don't know more about it at this time.)

If a top level category is used, it appears grey in the list. None of its subcategories appear unless they're unused.
This discussion has been closed.