Creating 2022 Planning Budget

Bione
Bione Member ✭✭✭
I fight this every year and never remember what I did the prior but always assume there should be a simpler way. Here is what my goal is.
A. Create an identical category budget
B. Keep the same allocations. I will adjust later.
C. Keep the rollovers set the same
D. Do not carryover any Over are Under spends from the previous year. Fresh start.

In another words it is basically a duplicate. I recall from many years of doing this I could not start it until after the calendar went past Jan 1 and I still needed to clean up both the allocations and rollovers. Is there a better way ?

Comments

• Scooterlam
    Scooterlam SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited December 2021
    In your 2021 budget Annual View, click the right arrow (date control) to change to 2022.  The dialog shown in the image below will give you some options for creating the next year's budget.  I believe the one I highlighted checks your boxes.

Dont forget to backup prior to this so you can restore if something goes wrong.

In terms of checking (clearing) all rollovers from 2021, I select the details view.  Then, for each category that is marked to rollover in January, I click on the balance figure for that category to confirm no rollover or otherwise set it to 0.  Next images.

You'll see that the budget and balance figures will be the same when there is no rollover from the prior December as well.

• Bione
    Bione Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the response did not know that one was there.
  • Bione
    Bione Member ✭✭✭
    But, When I go back to the graph selection which I like, I still have the rollover values from the prior month.
  • Bione
    Bione Member ✭✭✭
    Sorry I am having problems these days trying to paste in pictures and I thought we used to be able to edit out comments after posting. I meant if I selected January, the yearend rollovers are still there.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Bione said:
    But, When I go back to the graph selection which I like, I still have the rollover values from the prior month.
    The rollovers are on every month so make sure that you are looking at the same month/category.
    On the Graph view you just need to click on the "xxx left/over" link:

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Bione
    Bione Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks, I was having trouble with this explanation until I turned on "show details for future months". Now I get it. My last questions is simpler. I see you called your budget "Personal". Historically I have created a 2015,2016, 2017...... . Since this is now more continuous/linear, is there a way rename my "2021" to something more logical since it will be the same going forward ? Every year I find something that I have never used or seen because Quicken is fairly deep. If I can only get them to do a good print function for the graph view feature which I like to show at family meetings. Screen prints with cutting and pasting is laborious. Merry Xmas and Happy New Year.
  • Scooterlam
    Scooterlam SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    You can rename the budget under Budget Actions button.  Note:  It will be the same for all years going forward if you use the date control to advance and create new budgets.   https://help.quicken.com/m/mobile.action#page/3216840
This discussion has been closed.