Quicken (Mac) won't load

Richard Bowdel
Richard Bowdel Member ✭✭✭
Q hangs when trying to open (not responding). Happens with 3 different files. Don't think it has anything to do with data. Was working earlier this AM, then hung while downloading data.
Tagged:

Best Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    First, restart your computer. That resolves a host of inexplicable problems.

Next, hold the Shift key when you launch Quicken. Do you get the dialog asking if you want to open your previously-used file? 

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • garysmith87
    garysmith87 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021 Answer ✓
    Since the warning you get is regarding not being able to sync 654 attachments...I would try turning OFF Quicken Cloud sync in the Preferences pane.

Then see if you can load Quicken without any issues by closing Quicken and restarting.  Do you still get that message?

Attachments are stored in your Quicken Mac data file.  Since the data file is really a package (multiple files rolled into one package). locate your xxx.quicken data file.  Right click on the file and select "Show Package Contents".

There is an attachments folder which contains all your attachments.

I'm not sure but I think you can delete all the files in that folder without boinking your Quicken data file.  Of course that will delete your attachments from the Quicken software file.

Always backup your data file first before trying this.

Additionally, if you want to try and use your Quicken mobile app again, I would RESET your cloud data in Preferences.  That will wipe your cloud clean and start over.  Why would I do this?  Because if you turn this back on again without a reset, you'll sync to the old existing cloud data file, which WILL include those attachments and they will download back to your desktop version.  

Hope this makes sense.

Not 100% sure this will all work, but I think it's worth a try.  
  • jacobs
    Answer ✓
    Glad you got it to work... mostly. (The next thing I was going to suggest to you was to log into or create a new User account on your Mac, and try Quicken from that account. That would isolate if any preference files or other things in your standard user account might be causing a problem.)

Attachments are stored in your Quicken data file. A Quicken data file is a "package" file — basically a wrapper around a bunch of files and folders so it looks like a single file to users and the Finder. If you Control-click on your data file and select Show Package Contents, you'll see what's inside your data file, including an Attachments folder. Unfortunately, they aren't organized in a way you can search them manually -- but there is no intention for users to be poking around inside the data file.

While I appreciate the convenience of attaching documents to transactions in Quicken, many longtime users here recommend keeping receipts and other documents separate from Quicken, in folders organized by year/month, by category, or by payees. This results in a small Quicken data file which is not bogged down by many megabytes of attachments every time you back up your Quicken file, and not at risk should your Quicken data file suffer any corruption. And should you ever decide to move off of Quicken, if your documents are attached in Quicken, you'l have to extract them one by one, as there are no utilities for managing attachments. 

Answers

• jacobs
    Answer ✓
    First, restart your computer. That resolves a host of inexplicable problems.

Next, hold the Shift key when you launch Quicken. Do you get the dialog asking if you want to open your previously-used file? 

• Richard Bowdel
    Restarted several times. Tried the Shift key several times and no dialog. Have been working on this for 3 hours, and thought it might be Quicken cloud. Tried the Shift key one more time after receiving your message, and it worked! I'm not a newbie, first computer ran CP/M. Anyway, thanks for your help. p.s. just went back to Quicken and it updated 5 Fidelity accounts, still trying. Now I have a message, Q encountered an error while communicating with our servers. That must be the problem. Now Attachment Sync Error, shows warning that Q couldn't sync 654 attachments.
  • Richard Bowdel
    BTW, do you know if attachments are stored in Q or only a link? I would like to move the files that were attached.
  • garysmith87
    garysmith87 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021 Answer ✓
    Since the warning you get is regarding not being able to sync 654 attachments...I would try turning OFF Quicken Cloud sync in the Preferences pane.

Then see if you can load Quicken without any issues by closing Quicken and restarting.  Do you still get that message?

Attachments are stored in your Quicken Mac data file.  Since the data file is really a package (multiple files rolled into one package). locate your xxx.quicken data file.  Right click on the file and select "Show Package Contents".

There is an attachments folder which contains all your attachments.

I'm not sure but I think you can delete all the files in that folder without boinking your Quicken data file.  Of course that will delete your attachments from the Quicken software file.

Always backup your data file first before trying this.

Additionally, if you want to try and use your Quicken mobile app again, I would RESET your cloud data in Preferences.  That will wipe your cloud clean and start over.  Why would I do this?  Because if you turn this back on again without a reset, you'll sync to the old existing cloud data file, which WILL include those attachments and they will download back to your desktop version.  

Hope this makes sense.

Not 100% sure this will all work, but I think it's worth a try.  
  • jacobs
    Answer ✓
    Glad you got it to work... mostly. (The next thing I was going to suggest to you was to log into or create a new User account on your Mac, and try Quicken from that account. That would isolate if any preference files or other things in your standard user account might be causing a problem.)

Attachments are stored in your Quicken data file. A Quicken data file is a "package" file — basically a wrapper around a bunch of files and folders so it looks like a single file to users and the Finder. If you Control-click on your data file and select Show Package Contents, you'll see what's inside your data file, including an Attachments folder. Unfortunately, they aren't organized in a way you can search them manually -- but there is no intention for users to be poking around inside the data file.

While I appreciate the convenience of attaching documents to transactions in Quicken, many longtime users here recommend keeping receipts and other documents separate from Quicken, in folders organized by year/month, by category, or by payees. This results in a small Quicken data file which is not bogged down by many megabytes of attachments every time you back up your Quicken file, and not at risk should your Quicken data file suffer any corruption. And should you ever decide to move off of Quicken, if your documents are attached in Quicken, you'l have to extract them one by one, as there are no utilities for managing attachments. 
  • Richard Bowdel
    Exactly what I needed to know. Thanks much, jacobs.
This discussion has been closed.