Switching to Mac – Knows issues & recommendations?

Options
LittleMasti
LittleMasti Member ✭✭
I've been using Quicken Premier-windows for the past ten years. And now I'm thinking about switching to a Mac. I see a lot of threads discussing file conversion and feature comparisons (Mac vs. Win). Is there any advice (thread) where I may learn more about the frequent issues, resolutions, and recommendations? I'd love it if someone could share their experience as well.

I know your time is valuable and I appreciate your attention

BR

Best Answer

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    @LittleMasti There are many, many threads on this site about converting from Quicken Windows to Quicken Mac. Unfortunately, trying to parse through them is problematic, because some problems have been fixed, some were user error, some were unique to one user's data, etc. More broadly, we all use Quicken differently and depend on different features, which is why many people have migrated from Quicken Windows to Quicken Mac successfully and some have hit roadblocks.

Do you have access to a Mac? The best advice I can offer is to try it for yourself, with your own data, so see if things convert properly and if it seems like it will work for you. Unfortunately, there's a bit if a learning curve to get familiar with and adept at using Quicken Mac, but even a short test drive might give you a sense of whether it will be okay or problematic for you. If you have a current Quicken subscription, you can download Quicken Mac for no additional fee; you just need a Mac to give it a try.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I've been using Quicken Premier-windows for the past ten years. And now I'm thinking about switching to a Mac. I see a lot of threads discussing file conversion and feature comparisons (Mac vs. Win). Is there any advice (thread) where I may learn more about the frequent issues, resolutions, and recommendations? I'd love it if someone could share their experience as well.

I know your time is valuable and I appreciate your attention

BR
    Hello LittleMasti,

I know that conversion from Quicken Windows to Quicken Mac can seem like an intimidating prospect at first, and I appreciate that you reached out to the Community about this. The good news is that there are quite a few resources that provide step-by-step instructions on doing this, and I'll list as many as I can here for you.

The first place to look for information about conversion from Windows to Mac would be the support article, here: https://www.quicken.com/support/converting-your-data-quicken-mac.

You can also see threads discussing these kinds of operations, such as this recent one here:https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20224267#Comment_20224267

As mentioned in the above thread, it is the case that investment accounts do not transfer during conversion. Reports, budgets, and attachments also do not transfer. This is a primary concern when attempting the conversion process.

Hopefully these links were helpful, but feel free to let me know if you have any more questions or concerns.

Thanks,

Quicken Jared 

• jacobs
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Quicken Jared said:

As mentioned in the above thread, it is the case that investment accounts do not transfer during conversion.
    @Quicken Jared This is incorrect. Investment account DO transfer from Windows to Mac. Some users have reported problems with some of the combination action + transfer transactions (BuyX, SellX, etc.), while others have come through the transition fairly cleanly. You also linked to a thread about converting from Mac to Windows, where investment transactions don't transfer. But the poster here wants to go from Windows to Mac, and investment accounts DO work. 
  • jacobs
    Answer ✓
    Options
    @LittleMasti There are many, many threads on this site about converting from Quicken Windows to Quicken Mac. Unfortunately, trying to parse through them is problematic, because some problems have been fixed, some were user error, some were unique to one user's data, etc. More broadly, we all use Quicken differently and depend on different features, which is why many people have migrated from Quicken Windows to Quicken Mac successfully and some have hit roadblocks.

Do you have access to a Mac? The best advice I can offer is to try it for yourself, with your own data, so see if things convert properly and if it seems like it will work for you. Unfortunately, there's a bit if a learning curve to get familiar with and adept at using Quicken Mac, but even a short test drive might give you a sense of whether it will be okay or problematic for you. If you have a current Quicken subscription, you can download Quicken Mac for no additional fee; you just need a Mac to give it a try.
  • LittleMasti
    LittleMasti Member ✭✭
    Options
    @jacobs - Great advice, my friend- Yes, I have Mac but very old, but I can arrange a test. Thanks for your time and attention
This discussion has been closed.