Quicken transaction posting slowed dramatically under Windows 11

Running Quicken Premier (subscription). Have been using Quicken daily for 18 years. Quicken slowed dramatically (perhaps 500%) when posting transactions after I upgraded from Windows 10 to Windows 11. This degradation has persisted for weeks. Reporting performance did not degrade. Data file verifies clean. No app other than Quicken has exhibited this behavior.

Data file is 290MB, 95 accounts (23 currently active), 293 categories, 239 memorized payees, 1222 securities, 83413 transactions. PC is top-end i7 with Windows 11 Pro, 32GB memory and 2 SSDs (no HD).

Are other users experiencing similar issues with Windows 11, or are there known fixes for it?

Answers

• BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    I have been using Win11 since beta days (June?) with Quicken and everything is same to slightly faster.
    * I started with installing it on 10 year old unsupported laptop first and no issues with Quicken.
    * Then I installed it on a VM on my main laptop with Quicken.
    * In Nov I fully upgraded my system to the official release of Win11 and all remain good.  FYI, I didn't go the update route (Win10 > Win11) rather I wiped out everything and installed Win11 from scratch as if it was a brand new system.
    I have multiple data files ranging from 5-90MB and all are performing well, same as before.  I even have a few more connected/active accounts than you.  I also decided to create a new datafile and rebuilt and imported all my data into it and and the size decreased from 70 to 12MB.  I have no experience with a file as large as yours though.
    Hope you can identify the bottleneck and resolve it.
    - QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

• BrittMayo
    BrittMayo Member ✭✭
    Thank you for taking the time to respond, BK. If I might ask a couple of follow-up questions: (1) Are any of your data files on SSDs? I have read that Windows 11 has a performance issue with SSDs - doing extra unnecessary writes and reads - under some circumstances. That has me suspicious of this case. (2) Could you sketch out the process you used to rebuild and import all your data into a new data file? That sounds like something I ought to look into.

Thanks again, and Happy New Year.
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    (1) Only my 10 year old laptop has an HD.  Everything else I have is SSD and I have not read or heard anything about SSD performance issues.
    * Today Quicken is reporting a slowness which will eventually get resolved.  Most likely this is what you are experiencing:  See here: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7904619/new-12-28-21-slowness-or-errors-when-performing-a-one-step-update#latest
    (2) A very tedious process that took me a week and ~20 tries/files to get it right.  The key is to have dual monitors and a Virtual Machine (VM) to run old and new files to compare side-by-side (and copy/paste some data).  I would not have attempted it without any of those two.  My process is very specific to my data and will not make any sense to others as my rough steps are very cryptic at this time.  But I started with researching it here and used a few posts on QIF export/imports.  I will see if I can create a write up that is not Greek, but that will be sometime in the future as it will be time consuming (I am very very sorry for not being helpful)

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    FWIW, I'm running Windows 11 and Quicken all from a SSD with no problems at all.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    @BrittMayo , Back to your question #2, here is the other link to review that was helpful in the export/import process and limitations:  https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7450045/i-just-succeeded-in-recreating-my-data-file-using-a-qif-export-import/p1

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @BrittMayo, just as an aside, a 500% slowdown isn't mathematically possible.  It would mean that your machine is running at NEGATIVE 400%.
    The 1st 100% reduction would have taken the machine to 0 (i.e., not running at all).  And I'm having difficulty conceptualizing what Negative 400% would mean.  Running backwards?
    Maybe you meant running at 5%, which would have been a 95% reduction in speed from 100%.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• BrittMayo
    BrittMayo Member ✭✭
    Happy New Year, NotACPA. From the perspective you mention, it's an 80% slowdown (running 5 times slower than it was previously). Although, to be honest, there are a few days when it has FELT like it was running backwards!
  • BrittMayo
    BrittMayo Member ✭✭
    RESOLUTION: Today's upgrade to Release 37.66 seems to have fixed whatever was causing the slowdown. Speeds have returned to normal for everything I tried doing today.
This discussion has been closed.