Anyone else having issues with CC-800 message.

M - N Putzer
M - N Putzer Member ✭✭✭
This has been twice in the last two weeks, but I get a cc-800 message when trying to update my bank accounts. I deactivated everyone of my accounts, and then reactivated them. All of them connected correctly and with no issues, and even had correct balance. So I do a one step update, and its back to the same cc-800 error. This has become very time consuming.

Best Answer

• M - N Putzer
    M - N Putzer Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I was finally able to speak with a technical support person at Quicken. What we did differently than posted items for resolution was to deactivate the account, then when adding it back use the TOOLS menu, and choose ADD ACCOUNT. I could still link them to my current transaction accounts (so I didn't lose anything). He said using the Tools menu, set up brand new connections to the bank where using the individual account and setting up online does not. So far, only been couple of days, it is back to working. We shall see.

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Which banks are you having issues with?
    Have you searched the Community for recent alerts or discussions related to these banks?

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    If you haven't already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/error-message-when-updating-accounts-cc-800
  • M - N Putzer
    M - N Putzer Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    Yes, I've done what the article says twice. It looks like everything is good and when I do a onestep update, I still get the error message.

I thought I would also try the update without using onstep update and went to the account, and did update now. I get the same results.
  • M - N Putzer
    M - N Putzer Member ✭✭✭
    I also checked to see if others had an issue with this bank
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I've done what the article says twice. It looks like everything is good and when I do a onestep update, I still get the error message.

I thought I would also try the update without using onstep update and went to the account, and did update now. I get the same results.
    I also checked to see if others had an issue with this bank
    Intuit continues to have difficulty maintaining the Express Web Connect connection method for Quicken.  If you are not willing to accept the unreliability of this connection method, I suggest you use the Direct Connect or the Web Connect connection method if available instead.  If you haven't already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-quicken-connects-your-bank
  • M - N Putzer
    M - N Putzer Member ✭✭✭
    The last thing they had me do is move the quicken data file to the same drive as the program was on. I usually have all 'data' on the D drive, not C. Now it skipped to a different bank with the error.
  • CMRater
    CMRater Member ✭✭✭✭
    How do I opt for regular web connect assuming direct connect is not available in most cases.  I am also having many CC 800 errors on these accounts
    Quicken User Since - 1991
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    CMRater said:
    How do I opt for regular web connect assuming direct connect is not available in most cases.  I am also having many CC 800 errors on these accounts
    To switch an account register to the Web Connect connection method, I suggest you deactivate the register's Online Services (open the register, press Ctrl + Shift + E, select the Online Services tab, and select Deactivate), clear the name of the financial institution on the General tab of the Account Details window, select OK, sign in to the financial institution's web site, download the available account transactions, import the QFX file, and Quicken should allow you to select the existing register.
  • CMRater
    CMRater Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks.  I later realized that the alternative was to manually import each account which would be quite a step backwards.  Shouldn’t be necessary.  Express connect used to work quite fine.  Now it creates CC 800 Errors far to often.  But thanks for the instructions.
  • M - N Putzer
    M - N Putzer Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I was finally able to speak with a technical support person at Quicken. What we did differently than posted items for resolution was to deactivate the account, then when adding it back use the TOOLS menu, and choose ADD ACCOUNT. I could still link them to my current transaction accounts (so I didn't lose anything). He said using the Tools menu, set up brand new connections to the bank where using the individual account and setting up online does not. So far, only been couple of days, it is back to working. We shall see.
  • CMRater
    CMRater Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you M-N!  This WORKED.  Thanks so much for sharing.
    Maybe quicken will pay attention and provide this as a more common solution to people until they fix the flaw in the software.
  • CMRater
    CMRater Member ✭✭✭✭
    Looks Like I spoke too soon.  It fixed 3 of my accounts, but I am still having problems with my Fidelity Elan Credit card account :(
  • M - N Putzer
    M - N Putzer Member ✭✭✭
    Did you do a validate file after deactivating the accounts? That is under the file menu. You could try that, then close out quicken, then do this process.
  • S-online
    S-online Member ✭✭
    Just an observation - may not be true for everyone. I had the same problem with multiple accounts. What I observed was an EXPRESS WEB CONNECT issue. In my case the onset was DELETING COOKIES on my browser. I only deleted cookies, not saved passwords. It only impacted Quicken accounts set up for "Express Web Connect". The "Direct Connect" accounts were NOT impacted. My understanding is Express Web Connect involves cookies. I am certain there are many complicated reasons as to why folks are getting this error... But perhaps one culprit could be your browser/cookies? Perhaps, review browser settings to see if you are set up to automatically delete cookies at certain intervals? Just a thought.
  • CMRater
    CMRater Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing this insight S-online.  Interesting theory and I will explore as 800 Errors continue to persist on express connect accounts.  Like you, I don't have this issue with my direct connect accounts.  Perhaps Quicken will take note and install some sort of permanent fix!

Great example of the community helping each other out!
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi ALL,

By any chance, have you Restored a Quicken Data File?

This problem only affects Express Web Connect Accounts.

You need to Deactvate all affects Accounts, first.

Then Set Up Now, from within Account Overview. Be sure to link to the same existing Account Registers.

Once completed, you will be back up and running again.

I know, cause I had to do it, myself.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• CMRater
    CMRater Member ✭✭✭✭
    I found the above suggestion mostly effective.  However, having to restore back up files often to recover loss of budget data, I now limit the number of accounts that I use express connect for.  I find it much more effective for some accounts to just use the old web connect method directly from the bank site of those accounts which frequently encounter the CC-800 error.  Has been working very well with few exceptions the past month.
  • ColinG
    ColinG Member ✭✭
    Last time I deactivated all of my accounts on one of my Quicken files to fix the same issue, I could not add them back again as EWC. I had to add them as Web Connect, which is a pain. There is something wrong with the connection to Quicken's 3rd party provider where the financial institution passwords are stored. If you change passwords at your financial institution, or if they change their process to require 2-factor authentication and Quicken doesn't coordinate the change with the institution, EWC won't work. Bank of Montreal implemented new password requirements as well as 2-factor authentication a year or so ago. EWC hasn't worked since. Now as of March 8, 2022, TD Bank doesn't work either.
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @CMRater and @ColinG ,

I never bother wasting time, clicking on Fix It.

I simply went to Account Overview for each register. Then I deactivated each Online Services from each register. Be sure to link to the same existing Account Registers.

First, I deactivated PayPal Credit Register and closed it. Then I did the PayPal Register. I did not close PayPal's Account Overview, but I clicked on Set Up Now and it finds both Accounts and links them to the proper existing Registers.

If you set up Web Connect, you must Deactivated Web Connect, before you can do Set Up Now for the same register.

If you download a Web Connect File, which I have not tried it and imported it, it may not import to the same Register as Express Web Connect is set up for, or it overwrites the protocol for Express Web Connect and replaces it with Web Connect.

I just like sticking to with what works.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• CMRater
    CMRater Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks.
    I hate to say it, but in a sad way it is reassuring to see so many people with the same problems.  Otherwise you are forced to think that is your file somehow, which causes multiple validations, file copies, restores, etc. wasting untold number of hours.
    I honestly can't understand why quicken cannot fix these essential program features like account connections and budget stability.  Providing a STABLE AND RELIABLE platform of basic key features is much more important than the extremely insignificant program enhancements like Dashboard and even mobile/cloud.  These just add to a list of software features that inevitably cause more problems.  How I wish they would simply STABILIZE the essential features we need to manage our finances.  When they first went to the subscription model they stated that we would have a more stable product as a result.  For a while I felt this was true.  No longer.  I understand that the software code of quicken is very outdated.  I hope they can find an enduring effective approach because when the software works, there is nothing that compares!
    Hey Quicken, I would find the time to work with you in most anyway to help stabilize your product.  I tried to join their VIP counsel but have not heard back.  I am concerned that it was because I indicated that I would not recommend Quicken to others.  Well that's on them.  I would love to recommend Quicken as once did, but I cannot recommend the product as it exists now because I would feel bad if they had to encounter so many frustrations.  If Quicken was truly interested in improving their product they would reach to people like me to increase their trial and adoption rates.  No need to be afraid, as I am very vested in Quicken's success and they should want people that don't just tell them what they want to hear.
  • Herrick Inman
    Herrick Inman Member ✭✭✭

This CC-800 error is a BUG in Quicken. I'm experiencing the same error with my credit card account at U.S. Bank Internet Banking. The recommended "fixes" are temporary, at best! Calling Quicken Support is a waste of time. They refuse to admit this CC-800 error is a BUG!  They claim they cannot escalate this issue! Quicken Support is in deep, deep, deep DENIAL!!!
  • CMRater
    CMRater Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    I’ve noticed that some EWC accounts are more prone to problem than others.  For those accounts I be abandoned EWC and in favor of a simple web connect directly through the financial institutions.  Less frustrating to just go that route.