Latest Update has frozen my Quicken 12-28-2021

Scomackey
Scomackey Member ✭✭
I clicked the update this morning and it now only opens to a blank white screen. I have rebooted and restarted and XXCC$$#%^MNN a bit but no Quicken. How do I get this back to previous rev level?

Best Answer

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    To revert to an earlier release, I suggest you perform a clean uninstall, install while disconnected from the internet, update by applying the appropriate Mondo Patch, and restoring a data file saved prior to updating from the earlier patch release.  If you haven’t already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken. To update Quicken, I recommend you download and apply the appropriate Mondo Patch: https://www.quicken.com/support/patching-updates-windows or http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quickenpatches.html

To prevent Quicken from applying an update without your approval, I suggest you set Windows UAC settings appropriately (choose default or always notify).
  • Scomackey
    Scomackey Member ✭✭
    if I uninstall Quicken will my file be saved
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Scomackey

If you do the uninstall/install you will need to restore a Q datafile that was saved BEFORE the date you did the update that caused your current problem,  Hopefully you made a backup shortly before you updated the application.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• garysmith87
    garysmith87 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Actually, I just backloaded R36.56 over R37.62 without uninstalling Quicken and without restoring any previous data file.  

Just download the R36.56 release, right click on it to run as administrator, allow Windows permission to install and let it go.  I was done in less than a minute.
  • Quicken Paloma
    Quicken Paloma Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Scomackey

Thank you for reaching out to the Quicken Community. To clarify, if you uninstall your Quicken Software your data file should remain unaffected. 
    However, prior to doing any troubleshooting or changes we always advise to save a backup of your current file. 

If you would like instructions on how to do this or have other questions please let us know. 

-Quicken Paloma
  • Scomackey
    Scomackey Member ✭✭
    HI all, Thanks for your suggestions. I do not have a recent backup, I thought it was automatic, but I don't see a recent date on the files in my backup. SO if I uninstall it "should" not affect my data, right. I understand the backup advise and I am mad to find that it wasn't doing it routinely. I'll have to check on that when/if it restores... wish me luck
    instructions would be nice..
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Scomackey said:
    HI all, Thanks for your suggestions. I do not have a recent backup, I thought it was automatic, but I don't see a recent date on the files in my backup. SO if I uninstall it "should" not affect my data, right. I understand the backup advise and I am mad to find that it wasn't doing it routinely. I'll have to check on that when/if it restores... wish me luck
    instructions would be nice..
    That is strange.  Quicken should automatically create a backup when it updates the program.  If you haven't already, I suggest you select File > Find Quicken Files... to see if you can locate the recent backup files.

The clean uninstall should not impact the Quicken files but may reset some state maintained apart from the Quicken files (for example, the recent file list on the Files pull down menu, the date and time of the last downloads, ...).

As to whether you may use the current Quicken file instead of restoring an Quicken file backup saved with an earlier release depends on whether the changes introduced remain backwardly compatible or not.  It has been reported that the Quicken subscription has maintained Quicken file compatibility back to Quicken 2016 but your mileage may vary.
  • Scomackey
    Scomackey Member ✭✭
    re: I suggest you select File > Find Quicken Files... This is within Quicken, isn't it? I am not getting beyond a blank white screen. if i search in win explore what is the backup file named?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Scomackey said:
    re: I suggest you select File > Find Quicken Files... This is within Quicken, isn't it? I am not getting beyond a blank white screen. if i search in win explore what is the backup file named?
    Sorry.  I had assumed you already performed the clean uninstall, install, and update.  Quicken file backup files typically have the .QDF-backup suffix.  To find all Quicken files in File Explorer, search the drive for .QDF
  • Scomackey
    Scomackey Member ✭✭
    No I was trying to be sure there was a backup somewhere to reload after reinstalling before I took that step. I have now found several .qdf files from this morning when I clicked the update and earlier. So I am going to try uninstalling now. Thanks for all your help. I'll let you know if it works out!
  • Scomackey
    Scomackey Member ✭✭
    OK Awesome it worked fine. I copied the .qdf to a thumb drive, then uninstalled and reinstalled and it came back up with current file and data. Thanks to all for your help and suggestions I was worried I'd lost it! :)
  • Scomackey
    Scomackey Member ✭✭
    OK so now a week later it happened again, this time I didn't do an update it just restarted when I tried to open it as though it had been updated. The same result though a big blank white screen
This discussion has been closed.