How do I add a Unit Trust equity investment that does not have a NASDAQ ticker?

jon857
jon857 Member ✭✭✭
edited January 2022 in Investing (Mac)
I have a 401k account at Fidelity that holds company stock aggregated in a Unit Trust. There is no NASDAQ ticker associated with this investment. The price changes with the underlying stock investment but is a different in value. How do I add this to my portfolio? I set up the investment with a different name than the underlying stock and selected Type=Other but am required to use a valid Symbol. I choose the same NASDAQ symbol as the underlying stock. The pricing downloaded is erroneous and messes up my market value! The program is not letting me create the security without a valid NASDAQ symbol. What is the work around?

Best Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    @jon857 You don't need to use a real symbol for the security in Quicken. Just type the name of the investment or anything that's not a real symbol. You'll have to update the price manually, of course.

Why are you saying it won't let you create a security without a valid NASDAQ symbol? Here's one I just made up:
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • garysmith87
    garysmith87 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    To elaborate on @jacobs response:

In order to add a security without a valid ticker, you'll need to select a Type of "Other" and then save the security.  After you save it, you can go back and change the Type to any other selection (stock, bond, mutual fund) and you won't be asked to enter a symbol.  

If you select any other Type than Other upon initial setup, you'll have to enter a Symbol.

Yes, it makes no sense to me either.  

Answers

• jacobs
    Answer ✓
    @jon857 You don't need to use a real symbol for the security in Quicken. Just type the name of the investment or anything that's not a real symbol. You'll have to update the price manually, of course.

Why are you saying it won't let you create a security without a valid NASDAQ symbol? Here's one I just made up:
  • garysmith87
    garysmith87 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    To elaborate on @jacobs response:

In order to add a security without a valid ticker, you'll need to select a Type of "Other" and then save the security.  After you save it, you can go back and change the Type to any other selection (stock, bond, mutual fund) and you won't be asked to enter a symbol.  

If you select any other Type than Other upon initial setup, you'll have to enter a Symbol.

Yes, it makes no sense to me either.  
  • jon857
    jon857 Member ✭✭✭
    THANKS. I am a QM 2007 user evolving to QM ver. 5 & this month updated system OS & installed QM ver. 6
    Carrying over old set ups must have created this issue now that Quicken Direct is rolled out. Was under control with prior download tools. The key for me was the order of set up provided above. Following you guidance above resolved my issue.
  • jon857
    jon857 Member ✭✭✭
    Follow-up to my experience is that I was able to create a security without any ticker associated with it using the other category. The initial issue remains unsolved. Every time I update accounts using the connection type Quicken Connect the current price for the stock populates the unit security leading to balance errors in my portfolio!
  • jacobs
    I'm confused. You have a security which has no symbol, but when you update accounts, Quicken is importing a new price entry into that security? I have a number of old securities for which I have removed any symbol, and there are no price updates for those securities. 
  • jon857
    jon857 Member ✭✭✭
    Equally confused as I have this stock in two brokerage accounts and in two 401k accounts. I just did a mid-day Account Status update with even more bewildering results. One investment company, one of the brokerage accounts, is set up to be included in the Quicken Connect protocol update. The stock price was not updated. The 401k which is associated with the Direct Connect online protocol was not selected to be refreshed. This investment company, two accounts, now shows todays current market price for the stock but associates it with the position for the units holding (other) which has no symbol. A little complicated but hopefully not to confusing.
    When I update prices in the investing window the stock price updates but not the units.
    I am now suspecting it has something to do with how the Schwab information is associated with my account.
This discussion has been closed.