Member accounts for Club Dues

Options
James Holmes
James Holmes Member ✭✭
Members make voluntary donations to pay expenses.
What sort of account structure is best to keep track of how much each member has contributed each month, and the total
Tagged:

Best Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021 Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi @James Holmes

Which version of Quicken are you currently running? If it is Home & Business (etc.) you could setup a "customer account" for each member.  That would allow you to track each one very easily and the reporting would be very simple.

If you are using a lower version, setting up a Quicken payee for each member would probably be best.

Let me know if you have any followups.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    How about we try and keep it simple, regardless of Quicken feature level in use ...
    Each club member has a name. In Quicken that's the Payee Name. Donations are recorded in a Cash or a Checking account, by Payee Name.
    The Cash account represents the cash lock box in your office.
    The Checking account is the Club's checking account at a bank. All dues paid by check are recorded here and deposited in the bank.
    Excess cash is transferred from the Cash account to the Checking account and deposited in the bank.
    Reports by Payee Name will tell you who paid how much, e.g., "Itemized Payees" for Transaction summaries and detail information, "Income and Expense by Payee" will show a spreadsheet with columns by month.
  • James Holmes
    James Holmes Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Thank you all for your excellent recommendation. I learned several things from your responses.

Answers

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You could make each member a separate account or just make a Tag for each member.  I would try using tags.   

When you enter a transaction you either put the tag in the tag column or you can enter it at the end of the category by using a forward slash / to designate the tag. You can add a column for Tag if it's not showing.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021 Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi @James Holmes

Which version of Quicken are you currently running? If it is Home & Business (etc.) you could setup a "customer account" for each member.  That would allow you to track each one very easily and the reporting would be very simple.

If you are using a lower version, setting up a Quicken payee for each member would probably be best.

Let me know if you have any followups.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    How about we try and keep it simple, regardless of Quicken feature level in use ...
    Each club member has a name. In Quicken that's the Payee Name. Donations are recorded in a Cash or a Checking account, by Payee Name.
    The Cash account represents the cash lock box in your office.
    The Checking account is the Club's checking account at a bank. All dues paid by check are recorded here and deposited in the bank.
    Excess cash is transferred from the Cash account to the Checking account and deposited in the bank.
    Reports by Payee Name will tell you who paid how much, e.g., "Itemized Payees" for Transaction summaries and detail information, "Income and Expense by Payee" will show a spreadsheet with columns by month.
  • James Holmes
    James Holmes Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Thank you all for your excellent recommendation. I learned several things from your responses.
This discussion has been closed.