The data on Quicken file are automatically restored on the previous version

Amandine
Amandine Member
Hello !
I'm contacting you on behalf of a colleague : she's currently encountering some strange issue on a Quicken File (she use it as local version, we don't use any server or cloud to save the data)
When she add some entries on the file, the data seems kept. She save as usual and when she re-open the file, the data seems good until we click on "Account" : the sums change before our eyes, returning on a previous state, erasing the last entries until the 12/21 and be recalculated for a new result.

We did some extra backups : we can restore them but when we did new save we've got the same issue on the next opening...
I've tried to purge the files but same issue, it's like the file is corrupted but we can't create a new one because it's a all year work.
No problem on other Quicken files.

Could you please help us to find a solution ?

Comments

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Try this:  Create a new data file and connect it with Sync to Mobile/Web.
    You can cancel out of creating an account.
    Now go to: Edit -> Preferences -> Quicken ID & Cloud Accounts -> Cloud accounts associated with this Quicken ID(x)
    In the dialog that comes up select the cloud dataset from the original data file and delete it.

Now you should be able to use a backup of the original data file and it shouldn't pullback old transactions.

Also, a warning if you are using multiple data files.
    Each data file has a unique Id in it that connects it to the cloud dataset.  If you use Windows copy or in the past used Quicken's copy to create a "new data file" as a "template" so and then change data in it, both will have the same unique Ids in them and as such be connected to the same Quicken Cloud dataset and can have all kinds of "sync" problems.

Different data files have to be either created as File -> New Quicken File, or by the new Quicken copy which makes a "template" that changes the unique Id and deactivates all online services.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Amandine
    Amandine Member
    Thank you very much for your answer, I'll try it tomorrow (my colleague is off today...)
    It's strange because it's the first thing I've checked yesterday and I remember there was was only the user account but we couldn't click anywhere : no button or reaction by clicking the name to change anything. I was thinking it was only the Quicken ID without the Cloud connection and my colleague told me she never used the cloud...
    I keep you in and thank you again for your help.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Amandine said:
    I was thinking it was only the Quicken ID without the Cloud connection and my colleague told me she never used the cloud...
    I keep you in and thank you again for your help.
    "Never used the cloud" has a completely different meaning these days, since Quicken 2014.

Most people think of it as Sync to Mobile/Web, but that is only one part of what is now synced to the Quicken Cloud dataset.  As the years have gone on, they are syncing more and more to it depending on what features you use in Quicken.  This is especially true these days if Express Web Connect is being used as the connection type to download transactions.

I should also note that Quicken can work mostly in an offline state.  As in after the initial registration/login, you can run with your network disabled, which of course would prevent any kind of syncing.  This would be only for someone that is only doing manual entry or just wants to view the data.
    Signature:
  • Amandine
    Amandine Member
    Dear Chris,
    Thank you again for your help.
    We tried as you said but it won't worked.
    For all new file, the user choose to not sync with Quicken Mobile & Web. This software is used only on local because there is no bank account linked.

Even so, when I've created a new file to check the saved data on the cloud, following your advise, there was a file with the same name with the problematic one : I've deleted it.
    Even after this, if the file is open : the amount is still restored to a previous version after one or two seconds after opening.
    If we use the backup file to restore it, it's good during a time but if we use another file and reopen the problematic one after this, the amount is restored again on the bad data after few seconds...

There is a strange windows is appearing sometimes during the opening of this file : "Syncing Quicken and Quicken Cloud : Processing data... Restore data... Banking account..." and we can't stop the process. I think the problem is here but no idea how to disable this link because the Quicken Mobile & Web Sync is Off and on Quicken ID & Cloud Account show only Quicken Profile, no information about Cloud Account...

The file is no more saved on the Quicken Mobile & Web, the temporary files was purged in Windows, so where is the cache ? Where are the file where the data restore the previous amount ?

I've also tried by export a .QXF file but during the reimportation I've a new message :
    Quicken has detected that you are accessing your data file remotely through DropBox, cloud storage, Google Drive, USB or another remote source. To avoir possible damage to your data, we recommend that you move your data file to a drive on the same computer as your Quicken application. Select Close File to close the file. Once file is closed, move your data file to a local drive. Select Continue if you want to keep accessing the data file remotely."
    Same result if the file is in local drive or on the shared drive...
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Amandine said:
    Dear Chris,

There is a strange windows is appearing sometimes during the opening of this file : "Syncing Quicken and Quicken Cloud : Processing data... Restore data... Banking account..." and we can't stop the process. I think the problem is here but no idea how to disable this link because the Quicken Mobile & Web Sync is Off and on Quicken ID & Cloud Account show only Quicken Profile, no information about Cloud Account...

My best guess at this one is, turn Sync on, go to the Mobile & Web tab and make sure all accounts are deselected, and then go and turn it back off.

Amandine said:
    I've also tried by export a .QXF file but during the reimportation I've a new message :
    Quicken has detected that you are accessing your data file remotely through DropBox, cloud storage, Google Drive, USB or another remote source. To avoir possible damage to your data, we recommend that you move your data file to a drive on the same computer as your Quicken application. Select Close File to close the file. Once file is closed, move your data file to a local drive. Select Continue if you want to keep accessing the data file remotely."
    Same result if the file is in local drive or on the shared drive...
    Quicken was created/designed before networking and as such it is recommended that you always run with the current data file on the local drive.  This recommendation also extends to not having it in "cloud folder" since the locking/syncing of that file can conflict with what Quicken is doing.  Backing up to such locations is fine, just not having the active data file there.  Also, frequent use of Restore isn't recommended because every time you do a Restore they create a new Quicken Cloud dataset, and there is a limited amount of them.  Instead, Windows copying (or a batch file) back and forth is recommended.
    Signature:
  • Amandine
    Amandine Member
    Happy new year Chris and thank you again for your help.
    I'll contact my colleague and we'll do a new try.
This discussion has been closed.