Manual upload of historical prices not working

dtsworld
dtsworld Unconfirmed ✭✭
I just switched over from QWin to QMac. I have certain securities where I have to track prices manually. during the migration from QWin to QMac, the process misinterpreted all the prices and they all were loaded as $1. I created a csv file in the correct format as per the help but Quicken just sits there once I pick the file to load. Where can I look to what the issue is?

Best Answer

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2021 Answer ✓
    @Quicken Jared When you talk about Mint.com, aren't you discussing Quicken Mac's ability to download transaction data in Mint.com CSV format? That's not the issue here at all.

@dtsworld is talking about the ability to import a security's price history from a CSV file. This is definitely something Quicken Mac is designed to do, as show in this screen shot which explains the formatting required in the CSV file:

@dtsworld Are you certain you have your CSV file formatted exactly as shown in that screen shot, with the correct column headers in the first row? 

Maybe try to break the file into a smaller files to see if size is the problem. For instance, try the header row plus the first five rows of data. Does that import? 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    dtsworld said:
    I just switched over from QWin to QMac. I have certain securities where I have to track prices manually. during the migration from QWin to QMac, the process misinterpreted all the prices and they all were loaded as $1. I created a csv file in the correct format as per the help but Quicken just sits there once I pick the file to load. Where can I look to what the issue is?
    Hello dtsworld,

I am sorry that you are experiencing this issue, but thank you for reaching out to the Quicken Community for further information on the matter. I just want to be sure that I understand the problem. Are you trying to import csv files on your Mac desktop, and nothing happens in the app?

Thanks,

Quicken Jared 
  • dtsworld
    dtsworld Unconfirmed ✭✭
    Yes. Nothing happens. I am trying to upload prices via a csv file on the macbook.
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    dtsworld said:
    Yes. Nothing happens. I am trying to upload prices via a csv file on the macbook.
    @dtsworld,

Ah, I see. I am sorry for any confusion, and I appreciate your patience, here. Unfortunately, you have to import the files from Mint.com. Csv downloads are only supported from that website. I do apologize for any inconvenience.

Thanks,

Quicken Jared
  • dtsworld
    dtsworld Unconfirmed ✭✭
    I dont understand. I am trying to upload prices manually. Why do I have to go to Mint.com?
  • dtsworld
    dtsworld Unconfirmed ✭✭

This is what happens.
  • jacobs
    edited December 2021 Answer ✓
    @Quicken Jared When you talk about Mint.com, aren't you discussing Quicken Mac's ability to download transaction data in Mint.com CSV format? That's not the issue here at all.

@dtsworld is talking about the ability to import a security's price history from a CSV file. This is definitely something Quicken Mac is designed to do, as show in this screen shot which explains the formatting required in the CSV file:

@dtsworld Are you certain you have your CSV file formatted exactly as shown in that screen shot, with the correct column headers in the first row? 

Maybe try to break the file into a smaller files to see if size is the problem. For instance, try the header row plus the first five rows of data. Does that import? 
  • dtsworld
    dtsworld Unconfirmed ✭✭
    @jacobs
    Thank You! For reading my issue. I manually typed up a csv with 3 rows and it worked. After reviewing the original export, it seems a CR/LF was required at the end after the last row of data. That allowed QMac to import the file properly.

There is still an issue with the original migration from QWin to QMac. It did not interpret manually entered/loaded prices correctly. But I don't care about that now.
  • jacobs
    Glad you were able to get it to work! I don't know why the original import didn't bring this data in correctly, but it doesn't matter now. 
  • dtsworld
    dtsworld Unconfirmed ✭✭
    Though academic, I think I know where the bug is. if the price is 1000 or more, i.e. has a comma in the number: the import is getting confused on the csv format.
This discussion has been closed.