Why can't I backup to my iCloud account? I don't want a Dropbox account.

Options
Tony Robinson
Tony Robinson Member ✭✭
Why can't I backup to my iCloud account? I don't want a Dropbox account.

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What makes you think you cannot backup your data file to your iCloud account?  Dropbox is an optional service offered by Quicken...it is not a requirement.
    BTW, what you do not want to do is to save and run your primary data file from your iCloud account...or from any Cloud storage service.  If you do that data file will likely eventually get corrupted and it might not be recoverable.  Always run your primary data file from a local drive.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.15 on Windows 11)

• Tony Robinson
    Tony Robinson Member ✭✭
    Options
    My data file is local on my Mac. I'm running backup on an external, but backups should be off site, not on an attached thumb drive. When setting up my backup, destination choices are to an external drive or to Dropbox; my iCloud is not an option.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    When I review my backup locations options I get a whole lot of different paths I can take.  I had to browse through all the path options a bit before I found several different Cloud options, including Dropbox and MS OneDrive, Google Drive and iDrive....and I don't even use these.  The one Cloud storage service that I do use FidSafe but that one I did not see as one of my Quicken backup options.  Maybe I would need to do something to get it set up for that before it is visible.  Or maybe it is something that I can only access via my browser (which is how I back up anything to it now).
    I am not familiar with how Macs are set up but I would think it has something similar to Windows Explorer where one can browse through all the path options to find the Cloud options.  Or maybe there is something that you need to do to get iCloud set up for Quicken backups?  Maybe someone who knows more about Quicken Mac will be able to step in and offer some assistance on this.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.15 on Windows 11)

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    Tony, you can, in the Quicken Preferences > General pane, click the Backup Folder button and point your Quicken backups to any folder you like on your hard drive. The trick is to make sure you point the backups to a folder that is being synced with iCloud Drive.

The easiest way to accomplish this is to put a Quicken Backup folder inside your Documents or Desktop folder and tell iCloud to sync these to iCloud Drive (in macOS System Preferences). Here's a guide on setting up iCloud Drive:

https://www.cbackup.com/articles/icloud-drive-only-sync-certain-folders-6688.html

However, you may not want to sync the Desktop and Documents folders if they are large and will take up too much cloud space. But that's okay, you can create an iCloud Drive folder just for Quicken Backups. To do this, click The Backup Folder button in Quicken Preferences > General. In the file dialog, click iCloud Drive in the sidebar. (If you don't see it there, check this article: https://www.igeeksblog.com/how-to-add-icloud-drive-finder-sidebar-mac/). Next, click the New Folder button and name the folder something like Quicken Backups. You now have a Quicken Backups folder being synced to iCloud Drive. Click Choose in the file dialog to tell Quicken that this is where you want to store automatic backups. That should do it.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
This discussion has been closed.