How do I recover my file after updating from Windows 10 to Windows 11?

Options
The register is wiped clean back to 5/17/21!!!!! With the holidays, I could not reach Microsoft nor Quicken. I'm angry! One "helpful????" source suggested just starting over. I've searched my hard drive and both external hard drives to no avail.

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Did you use the Find Quicken files function in Quicken to search your drives for a more recent data file or recent backup file?  (File > Find Quicken files...)  Select your drive and it will locate all data files and backup files on that drive.  If none are found, select another drive and so on.
    If you cannot find anything with more recent data, then there are perhaps a few things that be troubleshooted to see if it can resolve the issue but it might just be that you would need to start over.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Let this be a VERY painful lesson to routinely make backups to media that is not permanently attached to your computer.  Backup are your friend, make lots of them.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Pinkie
    Pinkie Member
    Options
    Boatnmaniac, I cannot even open Quicken to follow your instructions unless I go back to the May option. This is my only account of how my money is spent/received. A few months back my computer CRASHED and I did start over. I do not want to do that again if at all possible. Thanks for your suggestion
  • Pinkie
    Pinkie Member
    Options
    Splasher, I THOUGHT I BACKED UP MY FILES TO AN EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE......but the new files are not there. :-(
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Pinkie said:
    Boatnmaniac, I cannot even open Quicken to follow your instructions unless I go back to the May option. This is my only account of how my money is spent/received. A few months back my computer CRASHED and I did start over. I do not want to do that again if at all possible. Thanks for your suggestion
    "...unless I go back to the May option."  Do you mean unless you open the file with the May transactions?  Otherwise, please explain what you mean by this.
    If my understanding is correct, does "May option" mean you have other data files there that are not the "May option"?
    Also, you can do what I suggested with that "May option" file.  In fact, you do not even need to have any data file open...just boot up the Quicken program and click on File > Find Quicken files....  That find tool will find any and all Quicken data files and backup files on your drives.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)