How am I doing with my investments for the last 12 months?

Options
tim.rohrer1
tim.rohrer1 Member ✭✭✭
edited February 2022 in Investing (Mac)
I am familiar with Quicken's Performance table for an investing account, but it doesn't account for realized gains/losses.

Quicken also includes a Realized Gain/Loss table, but it doesn't account for unrealized performance results.

I have found a way to make a summary report, but that only reports dollars, not percentages.

In a way, I'm looking for IRR for the entire portfolio (or account), not simply by the security, which may not even be held in the account any longer. Obviously, that doesn't meet the purist definition of IRR, or ROI, and I get that. But I want to know if Quicken has some way to answer my question.

Thanks.

Answers

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I am familiar with Quicken's Performance table for an investing account, but it doesn't account for realized gains/losses.

Quicken also includes a Realized Gain/Loss table, but it doesn't account for unrealized performance results.

I have found a way to make a summary report, but that only reports dollars, not percentages.

In a way, I'm looking for IRR for the entire portfolio (or account), not simply by the security, which may not even be held in the account any longer. Obviously, that doesn't meet the purist definition of IRR, or ROI, and I get that. But I want to know if Quicken has some way to answer my question.

Thanks.
    Hello tim.rohrer1,

Thank you for taking the time to speak with us on the Quicken Community about this. I want to make sure I understand the question before I attempt to answer it. Are you asking about how to obtain unrealized gains, in percentages, with Quicken?

Thanks,

Quicken Jared 
  • tim.rohrer1
    tim.rohrer1 Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    I want to answer the question "How am I doing with my investing?". This includes both realized and unrealized gains.

As a simplified example, let's say I held two stocks twelve months ago:

Stock A: 10 shares which I still hold today. Starting price: $10; Ending price: $15. Unrealized that would be 50% over the period.

Stock B: 20 shares held at start of the period, value $10. But let's say I sold it six months ago for $11, for a realized gain of $20.

Overall, my performance investing includes both 50% ROI (unrealized) on Stock A and the realized gain.

How can I do this type of analysis in Quicken?
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I want to answer the question "How am I doing with my investing?". This includes both realized and unrealized gains.

As a simplified example, let's say I held two stocks twelve months ago:

Stock A: 10 shares which I still hold today. Starting price: $10; Ending price: $15. Unrealized that would be 50% over the period.

Stock B: 20 shares held at start of the period, value $10. But let's say I sold it six months ago for $11, for a realized gain of $20.

Overall, my performance investing includes both 50% ROI (unrealized) on Stock A and the realized gain.

How can I do this type of analysis in Quicken?
    @tim.rohrer1,

Thank you for following up with me about this matter.

As far as realized gain is concerned, you would be able to view the information for this measurement in Quicken Mac by going to the Portfolio tab after selecting an investment account from the list on the left-hand panel in the Quicken window and then clicking on the drop-down list just above the securities register and selecting Realized Gain

For unrealized gain, you would simply go to Portfolio with the investment account selected and then you would select Portfolio Value from the drop-down menu mentioned above. You would then set up the Day Gain/Loss column by selecting the Configure Columns icon in the right-hand side of the Quicken window. This would appear to be a rectangle divided into thirds by two lines. 

Now, it is possible that you are requesting that Quicken provide advice or qualitative feedback regarding your investments, and this is not a current feature of Quicken Mac. If there is some unique data that you are seeking in order to judge your investments performance, that is very likely going to be available, but I would need more information if it is not identical to the Realized and Unrealized Gains & Losses reporting mentioned here.

Thanks,

Quicken Jared 

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    @Quicken Jared I think what Tim is asking for is a way to see total returns — realized and unrealized — for the last year. As you explained, there are ways to see realized and unrealized gains separately. But the problem is that I'm not aware of any way to see the total gains together. If there is, I'd be interested in knowing that, too.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • tim.rohrer1
    tim.rohrer1 Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    @Quicken Jared, @jacobs gets it.

Seeing them separately, as you've described, doesn't really answer the question of how my investing efforts are paying off.
This discussion has been closed.