How to start a new year Quicken file

Options
three_jeeps
three_jeeps Member ✭✭
My Quicken file spans 10 years and is 90,000KB. For 2022, I want to create a new quicken file with all the settings and data from my current quicken file. How do I do this?

The reason for creating the new quicken file is to reduce the file size, but more importantly, I want to purge things that are no longer applicable that includes:
credit cards , online payees, memorized payees, and lastly delete all the transactions (checking, credit cards, etc.) from Nov 2021 to the earliest date in my quicken file (e.g. Feb 2009). I still want to preserve the configurations for my online updates to my bank and credit card accounts.

How can this be done safely, hopefully without a lot of manual editing.
Thanks
J
Tagged:

Comments

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If you really want to shoot yourself in the foot (you will regret doing this later), look into Year End Copy:
    Far too often, users come back a year or two later and ask about recombining the files and it is nearly impossible to do so.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• three_jeeps
    three_jeeps Member ✭✭
    Options
    thank you. Yes, I've read about the recombination nightmare, but, The only reason I can see to do that is to compare previous years. Are there others?
    Perhaps I am asking the wrong question - I know I can hide unused credit cards, but can I (how) delete unused accounts, memorized transactions, etc?
    I am trying to configure quicken so that a new user wont get confused by seeing information that is no longer relevant.
    Thanks
    J
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    To delete an account, go to the Account List (Tools menu), edit the account in question and select delete.
    If there were any transfers from that account to other accounts, the category is the other account for those transactions will be changed to something like "deleted account".
    Memorized transactions (actually Memorized Payees) can be deleted from the Memorized Payee list (Tools menu).
    Just make sure that you make a backup before doing any of this.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

This discussion has been closed.