Why is the amount different from this year to all dates . . . . (Q Mac)

Options
Jim Mooree
Jim Mooree Member ✭✭✭
This being a new year, I used to perform the end of year activity, but I haven't done that in many years, so I have about 5 years of data in my quicken (for Mac) file.

But, this being NYD, I noticed something very strange between two different checking accounts.  It appears to be only these, not savings, not money market, not investments etc.

On one account, if I show "all dates" everything lines up and is good.  But, if I change it to this year, it shows a balance of almost 23K  - WAY MORE than what in the account (ever!).  

On the second account, again, if I show "all dates" everything lines up and is good.  But, if I change it to this year, it shows a negative balance.

I have always ran the register in "this year" settings.  I'm hoping it will clear up in a few days, but why am I seeing this?

I'm hoping the images will help explain it. . . .

Answers

• jjmc3
    jjmc3 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Have a similar problem, logged on this morning to find a credit card with a $200 balance also had $8k more in a savings account, the cc should have been zero - looking through register, found the error went all the way back to 2018 data - no reason, not sure where the other entries came from. Q just updated to latest version so something must have happened in the data "conversion" process.
  • Jim Mooree
    Jim Mooree Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Thank you, but for me to find a 23K anywhere in the 5 years of data, I would see the 23K error all the way back to where the issue is.  In my situation, I only see the error when I am filtered on "this year".  Same thing with the negative issue on the other account - only when I am in "this year".  When I set the filter to "All Dates", the data is correct.
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jim Moore said:
    Thank you, but for me to find a 23K anywhere in the 5 years of data, I would see the 23K error all the way back to where the issue is.  In my situation, I only see the error when I am filtered on "this year".  Same thing with the negative issue on the other account - only when I am in "this year".  When I set the filter to "All Dates", the data is correct.
    @Jim Moore,

I understand that this problem with the balance is disturbing, and I appreciate that you are taking the time to reach out to us about this matter. Is it possible that the balance for the new year is a consequence of transactions that are pending, or perhaps large scheduled transactions? If you can, click the Clear Filters option near the top of the register with the account selected.

Thanks,

Quicken Jared 
  • Jim Mooree
    Jim Mooree Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Sadly, no.  The checking account to goes negative when I change the filter to “this year” has zero uncleared transactions.

the other checking account has one uncleared transaction in the amount of $39.12 - and I have (never had) any transactions that would account for a $23,000 increase in account balance.  That’s not to say I wouldn’t welcome a $23k deposit right now, just that sadly, that is not the case
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jim Moore said:
    Sadly, no.  The checking account to goes negative when I change the filter to “this year” has zero uncleared transactions.

the other checking account has one uncleared transaction in the amount of $39.12 - and I have (never had) any transactions that would account for a $23,000 increase in account balance.  That’s not to say I wouldn’t welcome a $23k deposit right now, just that sadly, that is not the case
    @Jim Moore

Thank you for keeping in touch with me about this. Are you saving backups frequently? In order to do this, you would go to File > Save a Backup while the Quicken app is open. I was wondering if you have saved any backups prior to this event. You can restore a backup by going to File > Restore a Backup. You should be given a list of files that were saved, including the automatic backups. I would recommend trying this to see if the restored data file includes the right balances in the YTD filter.

Thanks,

Quicken Jared 

• Jim Mooree
    Jim Mooree Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes, I have a back up from 0751hrs on 29 December 2021.  When I restore that file, and I have No Filters (means ALL Data from 2015 through 2026 (Forecasting my finances until my retirement date) - I see the correct balance in the two checking accounts in question.

But, when I set the filter for "This year" (Because I dont want to scroll like the wheel of fortune to get to this year), one checking account goes to the negative balance and the other has a $23,000 difference in the positive.  

It is only these two checking accounts that are affected.  It is ONLY when I filter "This year" is when they are affected.  But, when I have no filters (All Dates) - the numbers are correct.

So, where is Quicken coming up with negative numbers for one and a $23K windfall in the other?  It's obviously not my files if all dates for both files are correct, yet this year for both files is wrong.

I just restored another automatic back up from 23 December. . . .Same thing!
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    I don't understand or have an answer for you. I can't replicate this in my registers. Toggling the This Year filter does not change my running balance for the first transaction of the year.

But I did notice one thing in the pictures you posted above. For the third and fourth pictures, where the balance swings from positive to negative, the difference in the balance is the first 2022 transaction of $822.63. In the third picture, it shows a balance of +190.61 after the 1/8/22 transaction. In the fourth picture, it shows a balance of -632.02. The difference is $822.63, which is the exact amount of that 1/8/22 transaction. I can't explain it, but that can't be a coincidence. I'd note the same is not true of the other account (the first and second pictures).

Out of curiosity, does this all stay the same if you switch the date order so the newest transactions are at the top instead of the bottom? (I find that easier than the old method of newest transactions on the bottom, but it may just be personal preference.)

Another curiosity: if you select a different filter, such as Last Year or This Month, does the balance still change?

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Jim Mooree
    Jim Mooree Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes, current date on the bottom is a preference from when I started using quicken over 30 years ago.  But, to answer your question, yes - it doesn't matter what order I put the register in (date current bottom, current top, payee alpha, cost numeric, etc) it still shows the same results.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    @Jim Moore  Yes, I understand most recent on the bottom from a similar long history with Quicken. ;) When I switched to modern Quicken Mac, I tried using it with most recent transactions at the top, and I've found I actually prefer that better, for whatever it's worth. (But I haven't entered four years of future transactions, so for me, "today" is always near the top, with only next month's scheduled transactions above the today line.)

Did you try changing the date filter as I suggested, to see if the running balance is off or correct using some of the other date filters? 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Jim Mooree
    Jim Mooree Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Ok - last set of testing. . . I played with the different options in the pull down menu and the only thing that showed correct numbers was "Last year", "Last 12 Months" and Custom - but only when I included all of last year.  So, right now I am running the screen as a custom filter of a start date of 1 Jan 2021 and an end date of 31 Dec 2022.

Still wish I could find the discrepancy, but this works for now.

I can not find any numbers in the deposits that would account for 23K, but I have not looked at all the debits to see if any payments got deleted somehow. . . . .
This discussion has been closed.