Chase accounts keep getting locked - seems to be OSU related?

mjonis
mjonis Member ✭✭✭✭
So this happens every 2 months or so. I've got 3 accounts with Chase. One for personal credit cards, one for business credit cards, and one for business checking. After a Quicken OSU, it'll fail on one of the accounts (userid) and if I then try to login with the web browser, it'll tell me the account has been locked due to "unusual activity". I call Chase and they can only tell me it looks like "multiple IP's" are accessing the account and that's why it locks. My IP at home has remained the same for 3+ years, but I do notice (depending on the bank) that it'll report one of many Quicken server IP's which I imagine is the OSU updates doing their thing.

Anyone know of a way to keep this from happening?

Best Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022 Answer ✓
    What OSU connection method do you have set up for Chase?  It sounds like you might have Express Web Connect (EWC) set up.  EWC connections are usually made at night from Quicken's servers.  The transactions and balances data is then downloaded to the server where it is saved until you run OSU when it then downloads into your Quicken.  You can confirm which connection method you have set up for your Chase accounts by looking at the top of the account registers.
    Chase offers Direct Connect (DC) support.  DC connections are made, as the name implies, directly from your Quicken to the bank.  DC is a superior connection method...more secure (no login info is saved on a Quicken server), OSU runs much faster and it is more reliable (fewer connection and download issues).  Financial Institutions will also not be getting Quicken server EWC connection attempts at night.
    If you have not already done so, you might want to read up on the various connection methods at Connection Types in Quicken [Support Article].
    For at least some business accounts Chase charges a $9.95 monthly fee.  If you have EWC set up and if you are willing to possibly pay that $9.95 monthly fee to Chase, then you might want to consider upgrading your connection method to DC which will stop Quicken's servers from trying to connect with Chase at night.
    Otherwise, the only way to stop that nightly connection is to deactivate your EWC connection and resort to manually downloading from Chase into Quicken (that is call the Web Connect process) or manually entering all the transactions.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• Boatnmaniac
    Answer ✓
    I understand and can appreciate that.  BTW, I think Chase should be able to whitelist or trust those Quicken IPs.  I used to have that same problem with EWC connections to Wells Fargo and when I called them the said they would do that and I never had another problem with my account being locked because of Quicken.

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    edited January 2022 Answer ✓
    What OSU connection method do you have set up for Chase?  It sounds like you might have Express Web Connect (EWC) set up.  EWC connections are usually made at night from Quicken's servers.  The transactions and balances data is then downloaded to the server where it is saved until you run OSU when it then downloads into your Quicken.  You can confirm which connection method you have set up for your Chase accounts by looking at the top of the account registers.
    Chase offers Direct Connect (DC) support.  DC connections are made, as the name implies, directly from your Quicken to the bank.  DC is a superior connection method...more secure (no login info is saved on a Quicken server), OSU runs much faster and it is more reliable (fewer connection and download issues).  Financial Institutions will also not be getting Quicken server EWC connection attempts at night.
    If you have not already done so, you might want to read up on the various connection methods at Connection Types in Quicken [Support Article].
    For at least some business accounts Chase charges a $9.95 monthly fee.  If you have EWC set up and if you are willing to possibly pay that $9.95 monthly fee to Chase, then you might want to consider upgrading your connection method to DC which will stop Quicken's servers from trying to connect with Chase at night.
    Otherwise, the only way to stop that nightly connection is to deactivate your EWC connection and resort to manually downloading from Chase into Quicken (that is call the Web Connect process) or manually entering all the transactions.

• mjonis
    mjonis Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info. Yes, using EWC as I'm not going to pay $10/month for DC access. Guess I'll just have to live with constantly having to call Chase every 2 months to unlock the random account.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Answer ✓
    I understand and can appreciate that.  BTW, I think Chase should be able to whitelist or trust those Quicken IPs.  I used to have that same problem with EWC connections to Wells Fargo and when I called them the said they would do that and I never had another problem with my account being locked because of Quicken.

• mjonis
    mjonis Member ✭✭✭✭
    That's a great idea. I will request that when I speak to them to unlock the account.
This discussion has been closed.