Account Bar investment market value wrong compared to Broker

Options
sjmauger
sjmauger Member ✭✭
edited February 2022 in Investing (Windows)
Account Bar market value does not equal broker's amount. The # of shares reconcile in Quicken and the downloaded price is correct in Quicken. So is the Ticker symbol. Yet My Holdings in Security Detail View shows the correct market value! I've tried restarting Quicken and redownloading. I've also tried Validate Quicken File. What gives?
Tagged:

Comments

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Take a look at these numbers......
    Click on the account - get the Register view - then click on HOLDINGS - scroll all the way down to Account Status -
    look at the Security vs Cash vs Market numbers

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• sjmauger
    sjmauger Member ✭✭
    Options
    Once there, I see Security Value =Market Value. (No Cash). And the Market Value is the same as in the Account Bar--wrong as originally described.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    OK, let's look at the details. When you click on the Holdings button in the account, the numbers in the Shares column for each security should match what the broker reports. Is this correct?

Quote/Price times Shares should equal Market Value for each security, and the security market values should add up to the total at the bottom. OK so far?

This should be the same as the Market Value in the Accounts bar at the left. If the Accounts bar number is different, click on the gear at the top right of the Accounts bar and make sure Show current balance is selected. The Ending balance will be different if you have future dated transactions in the account.

The total amounts may differ from what the broker reports because share prices change.

If you still see discrepancies, please explain.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Also - in the account register - if you click on the GEAR - and then scroll down to menu item - Reconcile Shares -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The Reconcile Shares will tell you about any difference in share count between Quicken and your broker. I suggest you NOT let Quicken create Placeholders, but add or correct transactions as needed to correct the discrepancies.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • sjmauger
    sjmauger Member ✭✭
    Options
    Well, it turns out that earlier when I did the Validate and Repair, it apparently changed some transactions ostensibly to correct what I had done incorrectly. I ended up with a Bought transaction without any Cash, thus making an imbalance when I tried to re-reconcile. I fixed it and Market Value in the Account Bar is now seemingly correct. Don't ask me why adding cash to the transaction changes the Market Value--it seems like the Bought transaction's shares weren't truly added despite total shares in the register equaling the broker's amount. I apologize for any inconvenience on your part.
This discussion has been closed.