Fidelity - OL-297-A [Edited]

klmnbaca
klmnbaca Member
OL-297A Error when trying to download Fidelity transactions (other accounts no problem). Is this a known current issue being worked on?

Comments

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't had any issues with downloading from Fidelity this morning (or anytime recently) and I have Fidelity Investment account in 3 different data files.
    I also do not see a posted Alert regarding Fidelity nor have I observed other recent posts about OL-297-A with Fidelity.
    The most common cause of this is a temporary Internet connection issue at the Financial Institution (which is something Quicken cannot fix).  Often times, trying to run OSU or Update Now a little while later will be successful. Have you tried doing that?

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• klmnbaca
    klmnbaca Member
    Hi - Thanks for the feedback!
    Yes, I did give it some time - I first noticed the issue last night and decided to wait and see if it was resolved this morning. Unfortunately, am getting the same message today. I called Fidelity this am but could not handle the wait time to talk to someone. I'll reboot again and see of anything changes.
  • Boatnmaniac
    If you still have this issue with OSU, try Update Now, instead.  Update Now will sometimes work when OSU does not (not sure why that is):  Account Register > upper right Gear icon > Update Now.
    If it still does not work, perhaps Reset Account will help:  Account Register > upper right Gear icon > Edit Account Details > Online Services tab > Reset Account.
    As a last resort option, Deactivating/Reactivating the account can fix a whole host of connection issues. But there it also can introduce some things that can be annoying to fix...such as, entering duplicate transactions into the register that will need to be manually deleted and requiring manually Linking the downloaded date to the correct account already set up in Quicken.  They are no problematic issues but it can take a little time to fix them if they do occur.:  Account Register > upper right Gear icon > Edit Account Details > Online Services tab > Deactivate > Set Up Now.

• klmnbaca
    klmnbaca Member
    Hi and thanks again for your responses!
    Issue is still occurring... Reviewing your comment, above regarding "OSU" vs. "Update Now". The only way I update is the "Update Now" option, so am not familiar with "OSU". How does that work?
    As a side note, I am hopeful that to avoid Deactivate/Reactivate option as the Fidelity accounts are very active (hundreds of transactions/month).
    Thanks!
  • Boatnmaniac
    edited January 2022
    OSU = One Step Update...updates all selected Financial Institutions (FIs) in one process.
    Update Now updates just one FI at a time.
    To run OSU:  Click on what is circled in red.  It can also be run via Tools > One Step Update.
    So Reset Account did not fix the problem?
    Also, I am assuming you are concerned about the Deactivate/Reactivate process because of the potential for duplicate transactions to be entered into the register.  Is my assumption correct? 

• klmnbaca
    klmnbaca Member
    No, reset did not fix the issue (" Account Reset Failed " ). Yes, your assumption is correct - would like to avoid duplicate transactions, but if it's the only way..
  • Boatnmaniac
    edited January 2022
    It sounds like you might need to go the Deactivate/Reactivate route to get your connection set up, again.
    The good news is that Deactivate/Reactivate does not always result in duplicate transactions being entered into registers.
    The bad news is that it duplicates often do occur.  If you do get only a few duplicates it's probably easiest to manually delete them individually.  But if you do get a lot of them there is a fairly fast way to do a mass deletion of them.  The following process is not as bad or as complex as it might appear and it can be completed pretty quickly.: 
    1)  Back up your Quicken file for quick recovery in case something goes wrong.
    2)  Make sure all transactions in your Fidelity account register through today are reconciled (showing "R" in the register "Clr" column).
    3)  If you have your account set up to show cash in a checking account, make sure those transactions are also reconciled.  (It can make the reconciliation of the account register easier if you remove the check in the box to show cash in a checking account.  You can always check the box, again, later when this process is completed.)
    4)  Deactivate your Fidelity account.
    5)  Repeat steps 3-4 for any other Fidelity accounts you might have set up.
    6)  Reactivate one of your Fidelity accounts (Set Up Now from the Online Services tab or Add Account).
    7)  Make sure to Link the downloaded data to the Fidelity account(s) already in Quicken.
    8)  Accept all downloaded transactions but do not reconcile them.  This will give them the C clearance status.
    9)  Review transactions in the "R" & "C" overlap time period.  Change the status to R for all those transactions that are not duplicates that you want to keep.
    10)  Make note of the date of the 1st "C" transaction after your last "R" transaction.
    11)  Pull up a Banking Transactions report and click on the Gear icon to Customize it:
    • Select an appropriate Date range. I'd probably use "Last 12 months" to make sure I capture all newly downloaded duplicate transactions.
    • Accounts Tab:  Click on "Clear All" and then check the box(es) for your Fidelity account(s).
    • Categories Tab:  "Select All"
    • Payees Tab:  "Select All"
    • Tags Tab:  "Select All"
    • Securities Tab:  "Select All"
    • Advanced Tab:  Make sure "Amounts" = "All", "Transaction Types" = "All Transactions", "Transfers" = "Include All" and in the "Status" box check only the box for "Newly Cleared".
    • Click "OK".
    • All transactions in the report should have a Cleared status....there should be no Uncleared or Reconciled transactions in it.
    • Make sure the report is sorted with the oldest date first and the newest date last.
    • Left click on the top transaction.
    • Scroll down to the last transaction before the "C" transaction date you made note of in #10 and while holding down the Shift key left click on it.  This will highlight all of the duplicate transactions that need to be deleted.
    • Right click anywhere on the highlighted transactions and then click on "Delete Transaction(s)".  This will delete all of these duplicate transactions from your register.
    • Close the report.
    12)  Check your account register(s) to confirm they are in balance.

• klmnbaca
    klmnbaca Member
    Thanks - I will do that today. Appreciate your help very much!!
  • klmnbaca
    klmnbaca Member
    Just wanted to followup and let you know that the issue seems to have been resolved by (apparently anyway) simply performing a backup/restore:
    I was following your instructions (above) to first backup the file before marking everything reconciled/etc.. Then moved forward on marking the transactions as reconciled. During that exercise I made a mistake so decided to start all over. To start all over I needed to restore the original final- which I did. Then, on a whim (before doing anything else), I decided to try the download from Fidelity and.. It worked!!!??!! Guess I was lucky!! Again, thanks for your help on this. I do appreciate your support/patience.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Ya' gotta love those backup files, huh?  :smile:   Thanks for letting me know.  I'm glad the issue is resolved for you.

This discussion has been closed.