Quicken Mac won't open

twaddell1
twaddell1 Member
Installed quicken on MacBook Air. Seems to download and install fine, but when I try to open, the header menu appears, but the body of the screen just shows my desktop. When I move the cursor to the main menu, I can see it is a spinning ball indefinitely. I've uninstalled re-installed and rebooted several times...no help. Running Monterey 12.0.1. Anyone got a fix?

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Just checking: did you install the latest version (6.5.1) or an older version?
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • twaddell1
    twaddell1 Member
    not sure how to tell...downloaded from Quicken site. Spinning beachball appears when I hover over main menu at top and won't let me click to get any version info. Any idea another way to tell?
  • jacobs
    Can you try launching Quicken holding down the Shift key? This will launch Quicken without opening your data file. 
  • twaddell1
    twaddell1 Member
    I have tried, but it doesn't do anything. I have yet to get to a point to get a data file started or import my old one.
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    twaddell1 said:
    I have tried, but it doesn't do anything. I have yet to get to a point to get a data file started or import my old one.
    Hello @twaddell1,

I am sorry to hear you are experiencing this difficulty initializing the Quicken application. Thank you for reaching out to us on the Quicken Community regarding this issue. Have you noticed this problem with any other programs? You might try opening other programs to see if this error can be reproduced. Beyond that, it might be worthwhile to reach out to Apple support.

I look forward to hearing more from you about the matter, in any case.

Thanks,

Quicken Jared 
  • twaddell1
    twaddell1 Member
    Jared, I happened to see a related post where the user came back after an extended period of time and found that things were working. I opened the app, put the cursor over the top menu where I could see the spinning beachball and then left it (plugged in) overnight. This morning the app was working. It seems there was just an extradorinaiy amount of time for the program to truly load for the first time. It now works fine and I even deleted and reinstalled without issue...so things are fine. Thanks for the follow-up.
  • twaddell1
    twaddell1 Member
    BTW, everything else on the Mac works as expected...I think there was something unique with the first load of quicken that would cause most to feel there is a total hang up of the system. As the saying goes, patience is a virtue!
  • jacobs
    @twaddell1 I'm assuming you're posting here because you're having problems with Quicken and not every application on your Mac, right? So I wouldn't think this is a problem for Apple support. 

To see the version number, open your Application folder, find Quicken, and do Get Info (command-i). The version number will be about the 6th line down.

You said you launched Quicken by holding down the Shift key. Did you get a message about which Quicken file to open, or land on the Let's Get Started page? Or did you just get the spinning beach ball?

Are you launching Quicken by double clicking the application in the Application folder, or clicking the red Q icon in your Dock? If you are double-clicking on a file, try not doing that and just launch the application, with the Shift key held down.

If all of the above results in the spinning beach ball, the next diagnostic test would be to try to launch Quicken in a different User account on your Mac. If you have a different User set up, switch to that User, open the Applications folder, and double-click on Quicken.app to see if the program launches. If you don't have a different tUser account on your Mac, it's easy to create on to do this test and then delete it. Go to your System Preferences and select Users & Groups. Click the lock and enter your user password so it will let you click the + icon to create a new user account. Call it 'temp' or 'test' and give it a simple password. After the account is created, log into that User account and try the Quicken test. (If Quicken launches and asks you to log in and lands you on the Let's Get Started page, you can stop there, quit Quicken, log back into your regular User account, and delete the temp account in Users & Groups. 

Report back which of the above things works and which doesn't. There are some preference files in your account we can explore deleting, depending on what you find. 

• twaddell1
    twaddell1 Member
    I'm good. Was posting to provide an update that time seemed to fix the issue. All else has worked fine on the MacBook Air so I would think there was something with the Quicken launch that needed more time than normal to load. Regardless...All is good. I have to working now. Thanks
  • jacobs
    That's just weird, as nothing should change with time — but I'm glad to hear it's working fine for you now.
This discussion has been closed.