validate function corrupted data file?

mike_the_novice
mike_the_novice Member ✭✭
I just tried validating a data file I've been using for years. First time I've validated it in years. Interestingly, Quicken crashed and sent info to support, but now I can't open that data file:
"Quicken cannot open the data file because it is in use by another application, such as a cloud storage backup. Please close that application or turn off cloud storage sync and try again."
file is on my c: drive, not running any cloud storage backup

Answers

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have to ask the obvious, have you tried restarting your computer?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Greg_the_Geek, I've seen your advice often ... but I've got a question.
    Is it necessary to re-boot the computer?  Or is restarting Windows sufficient?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Greg_the_Geek
    What's the difference between re-booting the computer and restarting Windows?
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

To me, re-booting the computer involves a Shut Down and Restart. While restarting Windows doesn't power down the computer.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @mike_the_novice , your original, pre-validation data file was automatically stored in the VALIDATE subfolder of your Quicken data folder. You might want to copy that out and save it somewhere, as any subsequent validation will over-write it.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Greg_the_Geek
    NotACPA said:

To me, re-booting the computer involves a Shut Down and Restart. While restarting Windows doesn't power down the computer.
    If you shutdown and then power your computer back on, it's not the same as restarting if Fast Startup is enabled in Windows. Your better off restarting.
  • Thanks for your comments everyone. That data file was definitely corrupted. I had tried rebooting and moving the file to the default C: drive location. Fortunately, I stumbled upon the copy that was stored in the Validate folder (thanks for mentioning that too Rocket J. Squirrel). I was able to continue on, but I think I'll forego the validate function. ;)
This discussion has been closed.