How do I delete an American Express Card account in Quicken?

I have closed 2 AMEX accounts in Quicken. I have gone under the account page to close/delete the accounts. I get a message telling me I need to contact AMEX to remove them from Quicken. I called AMEX, the accounts are closed and they are telling me (which I totally agree with) they have nothing to do with Quicken other then to update accounts.

Any ideas or help I would appreciate.

Best Answer

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    @rocrow29

You initially mentioned "deleting" 2 Amex accounts in Quicken - do either of the accounts still appear in your account list? 

If so, I would suggest that you open the "Account List" > click on "Edit" for each account, and remove any data that still appears in the following fields: "Account Number", "Routing Number", and "Customer ID".  Then close out and restart Quicken and try the One Step Update again.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    Hi @rocrow29

I have never seen a message that requires a user to contact a financial institution "to remove them [Quicken accounts] from Quicken".

Can you take a screenshot of that message and then drag & drop it into your next message to this thread?  That should help to sort this out.

Thanks.

Frankx

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You use the term "close/delete" here and, maybe, the "delete" aspect is the problem. 
    If you close an account in the real world you should close the account in Quicken too of course, but you most certainly don't want to delete the account in Quicken as that means you lose all the transactional history of the account which could dramatically affect reports.
    I've closed plenty of accounts during the time I've used Quicken (from the days of DOS) and don't remember receiving the message you refer to, but I've never deleted an account so maybe that's what's triggering the message?
    I'd say that you edit the Account, go to the Online Services tab and Deactivate downloading, then go to the Display Options tab, click "Account display" options as you see fit, (I select all of them), then click the "Close Account" button and answer "Yes."   That should be the end of it.
  • rocrow29
    rocrow29 Member
    I've tried both
  • rocrow29
    rocrow29 Member
    Actually I've done all of the above. I've been using Quicken since 2005 and I've never seen this before.
  • rocrow29
    rocrow29 Member
    Here's the message.
  • Tom Young
    If you're not attempting to delete the Account then what happens when you click "OK?"  If Quicken does nothing in response and the Account is closed in Quicken, then shrug it off.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    Okay, thanks for the pic.  What that message means is that when you "close an account" in Quicken - as you have done - it doesn't "close the account" at the financial institution.  It is just a "warning" that the account is (may be) still open at American Express" and if you don't want to use the card anymore, you should contact American Express to close the account with the credit card provider.

What Amex told you is correct - you don't need to do anything more (just click OK) than you've already done.

Frankx

• rocrow29
    rocrow29 Member
    I understand what you're saying. The issue I have is that I get an error message every time I update Quicken and it's annoying to me. LOL
  • rocrow29
    rocrow29 Member
    Also, I HAVE CONTACTED AMEX AND CLOSED THE ACCOUNT.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    @rocrow29

You initially mentioned "deleting" 2 Amex accounts in Quicken - do either of the accounts still appear in your account list? 

If so, I would suggest that you open the "Account List" > click on "Edit" for each account, and remove any data that still appears in the following fields: "Account Number", "Routing Number", and "Customer ID".  Then close out and restart Quicken and try the One Step Update again.

Frankx

• Tom Young
    "The issue I have is that I get an error message every time I update Quicken and it's annoying to me."
    That's new information.  Have you tried the Copy and Validate process?

• rocrow29
    rocrow29 Member
    Frankx, deleting the acct. info worked as far as getting past the error message. I still can't close or delete the account and that's okay, it's hidden. I just wanted mainly to fix the error. Thank you very much for your help!
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi again @rocrow29,

Happy to help!

Frankx

This discussion has been closed.