Data file password

I need to enter a data file password to open my backup. (Quicken crashed while I was working on it.) I don't believe I even have a data file password. How to get to my files?

Comments

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    I suggest you attempt to open an recent Quicken file backup that does not require a data file password.
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zoe50 said:
    I need to enter a data file password to open my backup. (Quicken crashed while I was working on it.) I don't believe I even have a data file password. How to get to my files?

Hi @Zoe50 ,

You can't open a Backup File, without problems.

You can Restore a Backup File, under a different name, from the original data filename.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can open a backup file if you change the file extension from .QDF-backup to .QDF.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    You can open a backup file if you change the file extension from .QDF-backup to .QDF.
    Back in the day when you did that you did not have to worry much about how the cloud sync side would react. Now, it appears backups interact with the cloud. If you don't use the restore process, you might get some unexpected results when you run OSU. If the restore process has problems opening the backup file, it's probably an indication the file is corrupted and not worth trying to open directly by changing the extension.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I keep forgetting about cloud sync since I don't Quicken Mobile or Quicken on the Web. The problem with restoring is that you can exceed the dataset limit if you do it too many times.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
This discussion has been closed.