On Line Banking

Options
johnmcever
johnmcever Member ✭✭
Quicken On Line Banking Problem

I have been a Quicken user for many years. I am currently using Quicken Deluxe and have been using the online bank transaction download process Quicken offers.

On or around April 2021 I started getting notification from my bank that someone was trying to log on to my account. I changed user name and password and set up double authentication with my bank ( bank texts me a onetime pass code to be entered each and every time an attempted log on happens). After this, normally between 11:00pm and midnight, I got periodic bank request to enter onetime pass code without any input from me.

Recently I spoke with my bank and they confirmed these unauthorized log on request were coming from Quicken’s banking partner (Mint I believe) . I followed up by talking to Quicken help, via chat, and was advised that Quicken does not communicate with my bank unless initiated by me.

During the first part of January 2022, on my banks advice, I deactivated Quicken’s on line banking service and then changed log on name and password. To date I have not received any unauthorized one time pass code request from my bank.

With all of the above being said, it is my belief that this problem/situation is on Quicken’s end.

Has anyone else had this type situation?

Best Answer

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022 Answer ✓
    Options
    It is not a Quicken problem.  It is how Express Web Connect works.  If you have not already done so, you might want to read the following Support Article: Connection Types in Quicken [Support Article].
    The specific part of this article that applies directly to your post:
    The issue you are seeing is that your bank's security software was sending you 2FA requests because it was not recognizing Quicken's/Intuit's (Quicken's aggregation partner, not Mint) IP.  If the problem returns you should ask your bank to whitelist Quicken's/Intuit's IP(s) so the problem goes away for you. 
    Why did you suddenly start having this problem last April?  You'd need to ask the bank but I'm guessing the bank updated their security software or protocols and the IP was no longer recognized.  Or maybe Quicken/Intuit changed something that generated new IPs for them...again, something the bank's security software might not recognize.
    Quicken Chat was correct when they said that Quicken does not communicate with the bank unless initiated by the Quicken user.  But you should note that you did initiate the automated nightly communication updates when you set up your bank with Express Web Connect.

Quicken Classic Premier (US) Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022 Answer ✓
    Options
    It is not a Quicken problem.  It is how Express Web Connect works.  If you have not already done so, you might want to read the following Support Article: Connection Types in Quicken [Support Article].
    The specific part of this article that applies directly to your post:
    The issue you are seeing is that your bank's security software was sending you 2FA requests because it was not recognizing Quicken's/Intuit's (Quicken's aggregation partner, not Mint) IP.  If the problem returns you should ask your bank to whitelist Quicken's/Intuit's IP(s) so the problem goes away for you. 
    Why did you suddenly start having this problem last April?  You'd need to ask the bank but I'm guessing the bank updated their security software or protocols and the IP was no longer recognized.  Or maybe Quicken/Intuit changed something that generated new IPs for them...again, something the bank's security software might not recognize.
    Quicken Chat was correct when they said that Quicken does not communicate with the bank unless initiated by the Quicken user.  But you should note that you did initiate the automated nightly communication updates when you set up your bank with Express Web Connect.

Quicken Classic Premier (US) Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11

• johnmcever
    johnmcever Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks
This discussion has been closed.