Transfer from savings to checking doesn't look right

Options
sgtempe
sgtempe Member ✭✭
The Category is [checking xx9999] in the checking acct register. Shouldn't it be the savings account? (Like [savings XX8888]" If so, how do I fix it?

Best Answer

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi again @sgtempe,

Okay that information is helpful.  Given that you are going through the downloading process for past dates (months, years?), as well as downloading current data, it's hard for to know how that particular transaction - which as I noted above seems to be a transfer from and to the same account - got entered.

However when you are making entries, and you try to record a transaction to AND from the same Quicken register - you should see this warning. 

And that's a sign that you need to double check the entry before you hit the "Enter" button.

Let me know if you have any followups as you go forward and "good luck" wit your process.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi @sgtempe,

Yes, in the checking account register the category for the transfer you describe the category should be the savings account.  What method did you use to effect the transfer? Was it done on the bank's website or at an ATM or was it a transaction you made in Quicken and transmitted to the bank?

Frankx

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• sgtempe
    sgtempe Member ✭✭
    Options
    Hi Frankx, I did a mix of direct connect and then downloading the various QFX files (for different back and cc accounts) to get back data. In any case, my cousin showed me how to do a transfer from the savings to the checking which is working more or less ok although it seems to have mixed results. for instance, sometimes the tx has been doubled up and I have to delete one of them; at other times the display itself is weird in that txs disappear and reappear depending on where I click. I just reset the cloud data and exited completely from Quicken. About to go back in hoping it is more stable. One problem is that the last time I used Quicken (pretty sure in the 90's) it was much simpler. I was a tad headstrong in thinking I could dive right in and avoid reading doco this go around.

At this stage I am just trying to get all the txs loaded in for the bank accounts (3) and cc's (4). I'm now going month by month in the checking account balancing with the bank as I go and adding in random tx's that didn't get downloaded. Next I'll do the savings accounts and then tackle the credit card accounts.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    sgtempe said:
    The Category is [checking xx9999] in the checking acct register. Shouldn't it be the savings account? (Like [savings XX8888]" If so, how do I fix it?

"[checking xx9999] is pointing right back at the same register as the transaction.
    The transaction in the Checking register should show [savings xx8888] as the category, and then the transaction that is created in the savings register will show [checking xx9999[ as it's category.
    I.E., the 2 transactions should point at each other ... not at themselves.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi again @sgtempe,

Okay that information is helpful.  Given that you are going through the downloading process for past dates (months, years?), as well as downloading current data, it's hard for to know how that particular transaction - which as I noted above seems to be a transfer from and to the same account - got entered.

However when you are making entries, and you try to record a transaction to AND from the same Quicken register - you should see this warning. 

And that's a sign that you need to double check the entry before you hit the "Enter" button.

Let me know if you have any followups as you go forward and "good luck" wit your process.

Frankx

• sgtempe
    sgtempe Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks much Frank. My review process is going much smoother now that I have a few months done. I really appreciate your quick responses!
This discussion has been closed.