Won't start twice

UpLate
UpLate Member
I just installed Quicken for Mac. The software will open when I first start my Mac. After I exit the software and try to run it again, it just hangs. It won't start until I reboot my Mac. I use a 2017 iMac, with plenty of memory and disk space.

Best Answer

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Thanks for confirming that Quicken launches in the Guest account. So that seems to rule out a problem with the application or operating system.

And you've previously said that in your regular account, you cannot launch Quicken successfully with the Shift key held down. That seems to rule out a problem with your data file.

So there's something else going on in your User account which is causing Quicken to stall during launching. Which, I'll note from hanging around this forum for many years, is very unusual. It's rare for Quicken preferences or supporting files to become corrupted in a way that prevents the program from launching. But that's where I would look next...

Go to your User folder and open your Library folder. Apple hides this folder (unless you set it to remain visible) so you can use the Finder's Go menu: hold down the Option key and the Library folder will be visible so you can open it. Open Preferences, and scroll down to look for any "com.quicken" files — there will be at least "com.quicken.Quicken.plist" — and delete it/them. 

This one seems like an unlikely reach, but you can also open the "com.apple.sharedfilelist" folder, and inside that, the "com.apple.LSSharedFileList.ApplicationRecentDocuments" folder in Application Support, and find and delete "com.quicken.quicken.sfl2".

Now try launching Quicken.app in the Applications folder again; what happens?

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• jacobs
    What version of macOS are you running? And what version of Quicken?
  • UpLate
    UpLate Member
    Montery 12.1. I'm not sure the version of Quicken, as now it won't open at all now. I just downloaded it over the weekend, and converted my Windows file. I tried the "hold down shift" when you open, but it still locks up.
  • UpLate
    UpLate Member
    I did "More Info" on the file. It says 6.5.1
  • UpLate
    UpLate Member
    It won't load now even if I reinstall
  • jacobs
    Do you have a different User account on your Mac you can try a test in? Or if not, go to your Mac's System Preferences and create a temporary new User. Log into the other user account, go to the applications folder, and double-click Quicken.app to launch it. Does it launch or not? If it launches here, there is something in your User account causing the problem, and we'd nee dot dig further into that. 
  • UpLate
    UpLate Member
    I signed into "Guest User" on my Mac. I opened Quicken, and got to the "Set up new user prompt." This issue is just strange. I installed Quicken for Mac Sunday, and converted my Windows .qdf" file. Everything was fine until I tried opening it again. I went into Settings and made sure Quicken had access to my files. I even tried giving it Machine control.

BTW - Thank you so much for your help. I've been using Windows Quicken for years on my Mac using Parallels. Surprised to be having troubles with the Mac version.
  • jacobs
    Answer ✓
    Thanks for confirming that Quicken launches in the Guest account. So that seems to rule out a problem with the application or operating system.

And you've previously said that in your regular account, you cannot launch Quicken successfully with the Shift key held down. That seems to rule out a problem with your data file.

So there's something else going on in your User account which is causing Quicken to stall during launching. Which, I'll note from hanging around this forum for many years, is very unusual. It's rare for Quicken preferences or supporting files to become corrupted in a way that prevents the program from launching. But that's where I would look next...

Go to your User folder and open your Library folder. Apple hides this folder (unless you set it to remain visible) so you can use the Finder's Go menu: hold down the Option key and the Library folder will be visible so you can open it. Open Preferences, and scroll down to look for any "com.quicken" files — there will be at least "com.quicken.Quicken.plist" — and delete it/them. 

This one seems like an unlikely reach, but you can also open the "com.apple.sharedfilelist" folder, and inside that, the "com.apple.LSSharedFileList.ApplicationRecentDocuments" folder in Application Support, and find and delete "com.quicken.quicken.sfl2".

Now try launching Quicken.app in the Applications folder again; what happens?

• UpLate
    UpLate Member
    Deleting the *com.quicken* files did it! Thank you! BUT - I have to delete that file every time I open Quicken. I didn't see a "com.apple*...
  • jacobs
    Just to make sure I'm understanding, deleting the plist files allowed Quicken to launch? But then when you quit Quicken and try to relaunch it, it hangs again? 

When you quit Quicken, does it seem to quit normally? Do you have it set to make a backup upon quit, and do you see the message that it is backing up when you quit. And does a backup file appear in your backup folder? It should be about 1/2 to 1/3 the size of your live data file. The reason for this line of questioning is wondering if Quicken isn't quitting properly and is therefore messing up updating the plist file. 

Also, I should have asked this before, what is the location of your data file and your backup folder? Are both in the default location (in your User folder > Library > Application Support > Quicken)? I'm just looking to eliminate that iCloud or Dropbox are in any way involved. 

I'm coming to the end of my ideas about what could be going on. If I understand correctly, deleting the plist file allows Quicken to launch — once — but it won't launch again until you delete the plist file again. I can't imagine what would cause the plist file to be corrupted enough that it prevents Quicken from launching. I have not heard of this problem before, and I'm afraid we may be getting above my volunteer pay grade to diagnose this further. ;) I'm inclined to think this is something Monterey-related, but there are many, many folks running Quicken on Monterey without this problem. 
  • UpLate
    UpLate Member
    Yes - I have to delete the files each time I start. It seems to quit normally. I don't put the files in the normal place.
  • jacobs
    UpLate said:
    I don't put the files in the normal place.
    Where exactly do you put them?

It's fine to use a different location, as long as no cloud storage service is used for the data file. (Cloud storage is fine for the backup file location.) For instance, creating a Quicken folder at the top level of your User folder (same level as Documents, Downloads, Movies, Music, Pictures, etc.) is a safe place.

If you have it in your Documents folder, the question is whether you have iCloud Drive storing your Desktop and Documents folder on iCloud. Or if you have it in a folder which is stored on Dropbox. If so, these are not supported and are known to produce a variety of problems.
  • UpLate
    UpLate Member
    I put them in a folder off documents. I don't think I back up things to iCloud, but will check. Again, thanks for being a mensch and helping folk out.
This discussion has been closed.