Quicken Data File Way Too BIG!

lwhillman
lwhillman Member ✭✭
I created a new data file for 2022 by deleting all prior years transactions. But the file is still 120 megs! How can I compact the file?

Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    When Quicken deletes a transaction, it doesn't free up the space and make the file smaller, it just marks that space as available and Quicken will reuse it as needed in the future.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could try using the Backup and Copy option on the File menu:

BUT doing so, will deactivate online banking for all of the accounts, so it might be more than you want to do.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    lwhillman said: I created a new data file for 2022 by deleting all prior years transactions.
    I always ask this .... WHY do you want to do this ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• lwhillman
    lwhillman Member ✭✭
    > @splasher said:
    > When Quicken deletes a transaction, it doesn't free up the space and make the file smaller, it just marks that space as available and Quicken will reuse it as needed in the future.

I tried the copy suggestion, but it only reduced the file size from 120 megs to 118. Still too large.
  • lwhillman
    lwhillman Member ✭✭
    > @Ps56k2 said:
    > I always ask this .... WHY do you want to do this ?

Several reasons.

1. My online backup only accepts files 100megs or smaller.
    2. The files are now taking a while to load.
    3. I am concerned the "deleted" transaction are still being saved in some hidden manner.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    lwhillman said:
    > @Ps56k2 said:
    > I always ask this .... WHY do you want to do this ?

Several reasons.

3. I am concerned the "deleted" transaction are still being saved in some hidden manner.
    Quicken is a database program.  It is costly, performance wise, to create new records.  So, what is done "deleted" records are marked deleted, but not actually deleted.  Then when a new record is needed it just removes the "deleted mark" and changes the data as needed.

As far as I know the only operation in Quicken that actually removes the deleted records is the copy the @splasher recommended.  At least it did before the recent change that also removes the online services and changes the data file unique Id that connects it to the Quicken cloud dataset.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are needing to keep the file's size under 100MB, be sure to NOT save attachments in your Quicken data file, they are space hogs.

• lwhillman
    lwhillman Member ✭✭
    I dont have any attachments.
This discussion has been closed.