Restore from local backup conflicts with Mobile sync version of file

Options
codad3x
codad3x Member ✭✭
Quicken for Mac. Here's a convoluted mess.

I had Mobile sync turned on. I made many updates to transactions with payees, tags, memos on my desktop, then saved a local backup, but forgot to click update to sync back to the web. Next time when I opened the desktop version, it pulled up the older version previously synced online, but not with my latest changes. So, I figured I would restore my local backup. Did that and transactions looked good, but then went to update and got the message "Cloud account not found". It forced me "Set up new cloud account", and the file then reverted back to the older version saved online.

So, my latest version that I want is saved as a local backup, but I'm unable to restore it and make the cloud account reflect that version.

Any way to clear out or purge every online version so my local backup takes priority?

Also, why is the software not designed to automatically sync online when exiting the program, or at least give a warning that the online version does not have the latest changes?

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    You can delete versions of Quicken Cloud files in Quicken's Preferences > Connected Services window. Click on See All Cloud Accounts. The Cloud account for your currently-open file is in bold. Each file displays the last date it was synced with its desktop counterpart. If you only have one Quicken data file you use, all you really need to see in that window is one account, for your current file.

Now, a problem comes up if you want to delete your current Cloud file as part of restoring a backup: you can't delete the Cloud file for the currently open data file. The way around that: create a temporary blank, new file (File > New > Start from scratch), open Connected Services, delete the Cloud file for your real data file, switch back to your real data file, and in Connected Services, click Reset to create a new Cloud file.

I think there are other ways around the problem you ran into, but I haven't experimented so I cannot say for sure. If you restore a file from a previous day, the first thing you should do is go to Preferences > Mobile, Web & Alerts, and turn Sync OFF. This should prevent the Cloud file from overwriting any recent changes in your restored desktop file. then you can go to Connected Services and click Reset to generate a new Cloud file based on the currently-open desktop file. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • codad3x
    codad3x Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I deleted my old cloud account, so before I could access connected services or Mobile Web, it forced me to set up a new cloud account, then for some unknown reason it pulled data from a prior online version that was not the latest on my desktop. Every time I tried to restore a backup this happened. I talked with Quicken support and they looked over everything including my diagnostic file and determined that I could not delete whatever data was being stored online because I had deleted my cloud account. Very bizarre that another online version exists somewhere that keeps getting pulled in whenever I set up new cloud account. They recommended I just take what it gives me and redo all the updates that are missing. I have turned off Sync for Mobile. I also suggested they provide a message when exiting Quicken to Sync before exiting so the online version is the most up to date.
This discussion has been closed.