deleted Schwab accounts keep coming back somehow

VinceSkahan
VinceSkahan Member ✭✭
I had some Schwab accounts that I deleted multiple times in Quicken yet when I update all accounts they keep somehow getting recreated and trying to connect to Schwab, which takes many minutes to eventually fail. They are DELETED accounts that don't show up in the all-accounts listing. Where are they coming from ? How do I make them go away permanently ?

They do not show up in Accounts=>Hide and show accounts initially but when Quicken tries to sync all the other accounts (or even just one), the spinner spins seemingly forever until it returns with a popup about the 'deleted nonexistent' accounts that it just recreated, asking me to link them yet again.

How do I delete them permanently so this doesn't reappear every time I use Quicken.

Running Quicken Premier Version 6.5.1 (Build 605.42638.100) on a M1 Mac mini running macOS 12.1

Comments

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    I had some Schwab accounts that I deleted multiple times in Quicken yet when I update all accounts they keep somehow getting recreated and trying to connect to Schwab, which takes many minutes to eventually fail. They are DELETED accounts that don't show up in the all-accounts listing. Where are they coming from ? How do I make them go away permanently ?

They do not show up in Accounts=>Hide and show accounts initially but when Quicken tries to sync all the other accounts (or even just one), the spinner spins seemingly forever until it returns with a popup about the 'deleted nonexistent' accounts that it just recreated, asking me to link them yet again.

How do I delete them permanently so this doesn't reappear every time I use Quicken.

Running Quicken Premier Version 6.5.1 (Build 605.42638.100) on a M1 Mac mini running macOS 12.1
    Hello @VinceSkahan ,     

I am sorry that you are having this issue with deleted Schwab accounts reappearing after an update. Thank you so much for drawing attention to this problem here.

When did this problem first arise? Also, how often do you save backups? I would recommend doing this frequently, as a possible solution in a case like this would be to go to File > Restore from Backup in the upper menu at the top of the screen while Quicken is open. You would then want to locate the most recent data file from prior to the onset of these symptoms, and then select Choose and then Restore. Saving backups, conversely, would be achieved by going to File > Save a Backup.

I look forward to your response, as well as any possible updates.

Thanks,

Quicken Jared 

• VinceSkahan
    VinceSkahan Member ✭✭
    I have lots of backups but can't identify when this happened other than it was obviously after the Schwab interface changed and we had to relink everything.

Restoring a random backup and having to do everything since then all over is 'not' an acceptable answer.

Isn't there a logfile someplace I can look at ?
  • Quicken Jared
    I have lots of backups but can't identify when this happened other than it was obviously after the Schwab interface changed and we had to relink everything.

Restoring a random backup and having to do everything since then all over is 'not' an acceptable answer.

Isn't there a logfile someplace I can look at ?
    @VinceSkahan,

Thanks for keeping in touch with me about this situation. As regards the logs for your online banking services, you can view these by going to Help > Show Logs in Finder in the menu at the top of the screen while you have the Quicken app open.

Thanks,

Quicken Jared 
  • VinceSkahan
    VinceSkahan Member ✭✭
    So what do I do to stop these bogus DELETED accounts from being recreated ?
  • DavidM75
    DavidM75 Member
    This happens every day when I download my updates. And every day I click the box to tell Quicken that the two accounts are closed (as of December, 2021); I have moved both accounts to the Hidden Accounts, made the adjustments for the securities they erroneously showed when I closed them. I've not been driven completely batty yet, but I'm on my way...
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    It sounds like Schwab is still transmitting information for your closed accounts. You might need to contact Schwab to find out why they are doing so, and how you can get it to consider those accounts truly closed. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • VinceSkahan
    VinceSkahan Member ✭✭
    edited January 2022
    The accounts aren't closed in Schwab. They are duplicates in Quicken.

Exactly the same thing @DavidM75 described above.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @VinceSkahan Different people in this thread have described situations which don't sound exactly identical to me, so pardon my confusion.

First: in the accounts you have marked as closed, have you also disconnected them for downloading?

Next: could you clarify what happens when you download from Schwab. Is it downloading into the accounts you have marked as closed in Quicken, or creating new accounts in Quicken? I'm sorry I'm not clear why you say you have duplicate accounts in Quicken. Have you tried moving all the transactions from your old Schwab account to the new/duplicate one Quicken, and then deleting the empty older account, so that there are not duplicate accounts? (Always make a backup copy of your data before doing this, in case it makes something worse.)

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • VinceSkahan
    VinceSkahan Member ✭✭
    Yes - they were closed, disconnected, and deleted.

I also did a controlled test where after they were (ugh) recreated, I disconnected them and exited Quicken. Then I restarted Quicken and deleted the disconnected accounts and exited Quicken again. Then I restarted Quicken yet again, verified they did 'not' appear in the all-accounts list and did a sync and it both recreated the accounts 'and' tried to get me to relink to Schwab with no way to not do so.

I tried 'ignore' and the recreated accounts were still there. I also repeated the process above and changed the type of the recreated accounts to 'other' so they didn't appear to be investment/retirement accounts but that didn't help either. No matter what I do Quicken keeps recreating the accounts and prompting me to link them again. Beyond annoying.
  • VinceSkahan
    VinceSkahan Member ✭✭
    ok - I found a solution to make this one go away. Documenting it here for the other (and future) victims.

When Quicken recreates the deleted or unlinked accounts, sync all accounts and you'll get an option to link to Schwab. Select the "options" pick and set it to manually entering transactions rather than downloading it. Then delete the account. Exit Quicken and try a sync-all again. It'll be nice and fast and it will not recreate the accounts any more. Sigh.

This is definitely a bug in the program, but at least I found a workaround.
  • VinceSkahan
    VinceSkahan Member ✭✭
    UGH - THEY ARE BACK
    THIS IS BEYOND FRUSTRATING
  • VinceSkahan
    VinceSkahan Member ✭✭
    yet another update - I did a reset in Connected Services => Cloud Account based on the wording of:

"Reset will discard any Quicken Connected Services data that exists on the Quicken Cloud and replace it with the information on your desktop. Click Reset to start the process."

Initially it seems like it might have worked, but we'll see....
  • Experiencing the same with a Schwab account. Followed instructions on thread, "Can't delete/deactivate Schwab accounts" and that did not solve. Trying recommendations above to no avail. Can't even delete the accounts with 'yes' as it does nothing.
  • Kept trying and this worked for me:
    - changed my password on the Schwab site
    - resynched in Quicken and the password change caused a reauthorization
    - after reauthorization through the Quicken callout to the Schwab site I was able to delete account with 'yes'
    - closed Quicken
    - opened Quicken and resynched without the deleted account being recreated
  • Quicken Jared
    @VinceSkahan,

Thank you for keeping us updated on any new developments, and I apologize that this issue seems to be recurring over time. 

Since you have reset the cloud account, has the issue been resolved? If possible, I hope to hear from you about the success of this maneuver. 

Thanks again for keeping in touch with us about this,

Best Regards,

Quicken Jared 

• VinceSkahan
    VinceSkahan Member ✭✭
    Resetting the cloud account 'did' fix the problem.
This discussion has been closed.