Have Quicken HB 2012 - if I update, do I need to continue the Subscription?

TrixMan
TrixMan Member ✭✭
Hello,
I am currently using Quicken Home and Business 2012 and it is getting a bit long in the tooth. It no longer updates which is OK with me as it still meets my needs, except the reports don't print properly anymore, they are microscopic, to say the least.
If I upgrade to the latest Premiere version:
1) does it come with a CD
2) do I have to continue the subscription each year?
3) if I don't continue the subscription will my installed copy still function? I do not particularly care about downloads from my bank and other financial institutions and so on. I enter all my transactions by hand anyway.
Thanks in advance for your help.
TrixMan.
Tagged:

Comments

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    It does not come with a CD
    You do not have to renew the subscription and your installed copy will still function, but when it expires, you will lose all online services and you will lose about 1/3 of your screen to an expiration notice.

Re: tiny reports, is this the printed report or just the print preview? If print preview, this problem has still not been fixed. Right click on your desktop, pick display options, and temporarily set the size to 100%. This will fix the print preview scaling, but it will make the text tiny until you change it back.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • TrixMan
    TrixMan Member ✭✭
    1) Re. the tiny print: The tiny print is in the preview only. The print properties window is set to 100% and it seems to print OK. Do you have an expected 'fix date' for this? It has been happening with my Quicken for a couple of years.

2) I just used a canned report "Banking/CashFlow" and find I cannot see the details only the summary information. I cannot find anywhere in the Report settings or anywhere else to change this. In some older reports which I had created some years ago, there are selection buttons to Expand All and Collapse All but these don't exist in the Cash Flow report window.

3) Re. The Expiration Notice: If I install a current version on Quicken Home and Business, will the expiration notice show each time the program is opened after the first year if I do not renew each year?
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    1) Quicken never says when they will fix something. Because this issue has a workaround, it appears to be a low priority.

2) in many reports, you can double click on a number and it will show the transactions that produce it.

3) Yes. The renewal notice is shown forever, until you renew.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • TrixMan
    TrixMan Member ✭✭
    Thanks Jim,
    1) I guess I'll keep using my Quicken as is for now.
    2) It seems to be an issue, intentional or not, with the Banking/Cash flow report. I found another that displays sub totals, details, and overall total, so that will work for me for now. I have been a quicken user since it was first developed.
    3) I don't see I need to pay for features that I will never use. For example, I stopped downloading transactions from financial institutions, as their ideas of categories mostly did not agree with mine so I had to fix them all. If I had to fix them, I decided it was a lot less effort to enter just them manually. Also some years ago, my financial institutions started e-mailing, in almost real-time, my transaction details greater than one dollar. That is how I reconcile my accounts after I have entered the transactions into Quicken. I rarely open their websites unless it is to query something.
    If I get motivated one day, I may develop an Excell database that will do all I need, complete with reports, charts, graphics, and so on.

Thanks for your help and stay safe.
    Peter B.
This discussion has been closed.