Help with building a budget.

Fred Boyer
Fred Boyer Member ✭✭
When I build my budget, the expenses show above the income and without subtotals. How do I get the budget to show income and subtotal above the expenses with a subtotal for expenses?

Best Answer

• Fred Boyer
    Fred Boyer Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Thank you! That solved my problem. Great info and fast response.

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Are you using any custom category groups?
    If you are, do they have a mix of income and expense categories in the same group?
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Fred Boyer
    Fred Boyer Member ✭✭
    Yes I do have some custom categories. I don't understand your second question. What do you mean by "same group"?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Yes I do have some custom categories. I don't understand your second question. What do you mean by "same group"?
    I mean the same "category group".

When you have a category group with both income and expenses Quicken has a problem to know where it should show up in a budget.

The budget is organized with the "category groups" at the top level, and the "income category groups" before the "expense category groups".  If all the categories in the category group are income, then is clear that that category group is and 'income category group".  But if you put any expense categories in that group Quicken isn't going to be able to know if you want it grouped with the income or the expenses.

The best practice is not to mix income and expense categories in the same category group.
    But if you insist on that, then you should be able to tell Quicken if this is an income category group or an expense category group by right clicking on the category group name in the budget like this:

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Fred Boyer
    Fred Boyer Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Thank you! That solved my problem. Great info and fast response.
This discussion has been closed.