Asset Purchase Price Correction (Q Mac)

Bob Banker
Bob Banker Member ✭✭
edited February 2022 in Investing (Mac)
I need a foolproof way to update a stock purchase price from 1998 (before Quicken for Mac) that won't change any other information for that stock or any balances in any accounts. I need this for capital gains reporting.

Answers

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    I need a foolproof way to update a stock purchase price from 1998 (before Quicken for Mac) that won't change any other information for that stock or any balances in any accounts. I need this for capital gains reporting.
    Hello @Bob Banker

Thank you for reaching out to the Quicken Community to discuss asset price corrections. I just wanted to be sure, are you trying to change an entry that already exists within your Quicken asset performance history, or are you hoping to add information to the Portfolio view?

Thanks,

Quicken Jared
  • Bob Banker
    Bob Banker Member ✭✭
    In moving assets from one broker to another, the value of the asset was transferred but not the cost. The broker has the correct costs on their website, but they aren't part of the Quicken download. I just want a simple way to add them to my asset accounts.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Bob Banker - You said that you moved the assets from one broker to another.  So in Quicken, do all of the shares show up as a single Add Shares transaction and did you sell all of them or did you sell only some of them?

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• Bob Banker
    Bob Banker Member ✭✭
    I don't remember seeing an Add Shares transaction. They just showed up in the new broker's account (I already had assets in another account that I bought from the same broker and which had the costs in Quicken)

I'm contemplating selling, but haven't yet.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shares don't just show up in investment accounts in Quicken.  There must be some sort of transaction(s) in the investment account register...Add Account, Buy, Shares Transferred In, etc.  Otherwise they would not be showing up in Quicken for that account.  I am not familiar with QM but in QW I can view the lot history for every security in an investment account.  QM must provide the same capability.
    One exception to this:  Simple Investing does not provide lot details or costs.  If you have Simple Investing turned on then I think you will not be able to establish a lot cost history in Quicken and will likely need to rely on the statements and/or tax form provided by your brokerage.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• Bob Banker
    Bob Banker Member ✭✭
    QM is different from QW in a not-so-good way. It used to be really terrible but has gotten better over time.
    The shares didn't just show up. They were added to the downloaded old broker's account and disappeared when they showed up in the downloaded new broker's account, but without the cost that was in the old broker's download. I don't know whose fault it was, the old broker or the new one, I just want to easily fix it.
This discussion has been closed.