Payee Names Reverting to Statement Name on Account Sync

jackhake
jackhake Member ✭✭
I have three credit card accounts where the I manually changed the Payee name but every time I update my accounts the Payee name defaults to the Statement Name. I don't have any Renaming Rules or QuickFill Rules for these entries. Does anybody know how to fix this?

When a payment post to my Chase credit card it shows as "Payment Thank You -Mobile" (or -Web depending where I made it). I rename this to "Chase Card Services". If I update my accounts the Payee name goes back to the original name every time. This happens to recent transactions as well as some older ones. However, it's not all transactions. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Quicken Deluxe Subscription
Version 6.5.1 (Build 605.42638.100
macOS 12.2

Comments

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    I don't know why it would be changing back a payee that you already manually changed. That seems like a bug. But how about creating a naming rule for this? That should fix it I would think.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Do you have Sync turned on in Preferences > Mobile, Web & Alterts ? It sounds to me like a syncing problem between your desktop data and your Quicken Cloud data, where the latter is overwriting the former.

If you don't use the mobile app or web interface, then turn Sync off. Then on the Connected Services tab, click the Reset button for the Cloud account. This will delete the existing Cloud account, so it can't overwrite your data. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • jackhake
    jackhake Member ✭✭
    > @RickO said:
    > I don't know why it would be changing back a payee that you already manually changed. That seems like a bug. But how about creating a naming rule for this? That should fix it I would think.

For Chase its just "Payment Thank You" which seems to generic for a rule. I wish we can have rules for specific accounts. I have another credit card that the statement name includes the date so its always unique which is annoying.
  • jackhake
    jackhake Member ✭✭
    > @jacobs said:
    > Do you have Sync turned on in Preferences > Mobile, Web & Alterts ? It sounds to me like a syncing problem between your desktop data and your Quicken Cloud data, where the latter is overwriting the former.
    >
    > If you don't use the mobile app or web interface, then turn Sync off. Then on the Connected Services tab, click the Reset button for the Cloud account. This will delete the existing Cloud account, so it can't overwrite your data. 

I did have sync turned on but don't use the app or web views as they seem pretty pointless. I have turned that off and click reset for the cloud account. This seems to have worked for now. Thank you!
  • bellbill
    bellbill Member
    Really strange if you have already manually changed the payment template. Personally prefer to contact the technical support service, where they can always quickly advise me.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @jackhake

Looks like @jacobs answer fixed the issue with the payee name getting changed back. This is one of the reasons, while it might provide some marginal convenience, I never have and never will turn on Sync. 

Regarding the renaming rules: For Chase, my statement payee is "Payment Thank You Bill Pa". As long as no other payee uses those same five words (in that order) in a statement name, a renaming rule containing those five words would work fine. Same would be true for the three words "Payment Thank You".

As for the statement payee that includes a date, you would create a renaming rule that doesn't use the date. As long as the other part of the statement payee is unique, the rule should work. For example, if the statement payee is "Yourbank payment rcvd 20210118", then you'd create a rule: "Yourbank payment rcvd" and this would work as long as no other bank uses a statement payee with those three words in that order.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
This discussion has been closed.