Edited transactions changed to original update every day

:s After new charges are posted to one of my credit cards, which I may or may not reclassify to a different category or account, the following day after I update that account, all the transactions from a particular statement date to the current date are reverted back to how the transactions were originally updated by Quicken. I'm having to do this every day! What's going on?

Comments

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    :s After new charges are posted to one of my credit cards, which I may or may not reclassify to a different category or account, the following day after I update that account, all the transactions from a particular statement date to the current date are reverted back to how the transactions were originally updated by Quicken. I'm having to do this every day! What's going on?
    Hello @Karma over Dogma,

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this frustrating issue. Thank you for speaking with us about this here on the Quicken Community. In order to pursue further troubleshooting steps, I will need a little bit more information about the problem, however. When did you first notice this was happening? Is this happening across multiple accounts, with different financial institutions?

I look forward to hearing your reply.

Thanks,

Quicken Jared 
  • It is only happening on one account, Nordstrom credit card. It started happening three days ago. Transactions for statements closing in November and December 2021 have been affected, as well as the current period.
  • billrunz
    billrunz Member ✭✭
    I am having this same exact issue. It is only for one of my accounts (Chase bank credit card), and it started about one week ago. Appreciate you looking into this and helping us out. Thanks!
  • EricEcon
    EricEcon Member
    I have the same problem with Chase credit card
  • Quicken Jared
    It is only happening on one account, Nordstrom credit card. It started happening three days ago. Transactions for statements closing in November and December 2021 have been affected, as well as the current period.
    @Karma over Dogma,

Hello,

Thank you for providing additional information and clarification, and also for keeping in touch with us about this matter. 

Just to be clear, is it only the transaction categories that are changing? Also, it might be worthwhile to confirm where the data file you are experiencing these issues with is being stored. If you go to File > Show "(data file name will be listed here)" in Finder in the menu at the top of the screen while Quicken is open, you will be taken to the exact location the file is being stored. Be sure that the file is not currently residing in a cloud storage service of some kind, or an external hard drive. Storing and opening an active data file from these sources can be a potential cause of problems like the one you are describing.

I look forward to hearing more from you about this and hope to continue to work with you on a resolution, should you have a chance to check back in.

Thanks,

Quicken Jared 
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited January 2022
    Do you have Sync turned on in Preferences > Mobile, Web & Alerts? If so, your mobile data may be overwriting your desktop. You can fix this by going to Preferences > Connected Services and resetting the Quicken Cloud. Only do so when your local file is correct. If you don't use/need Mobile/Web, I'd strongly recommend turning off Sync.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Reset Quicken Cloud after I corrected the transactions in Nordstrom, after which I did another update. Seems fine for now. I don't use mobile apps for financial institutions. Thanks.
  • Jared, yes, only transaction categories were changing. All were reclassified to "Transfer".
  • Quicken Jared
    Reset Quicken Cloud after I corrected the transactions in Nordstrom, after which I did another update. Seems fine for now. I don't use mobile apps for financial institutions. Thanks.
    @Karma over Dogma

Thank you for keeping in touch with us about this, and I am happy the solution provided by @RickO seems to have resolved the issue. 

Feel free to speak with us about any additional concerns or questions you may have.

Thanks again,

Quicken Jared 
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reset Quicken Cloud after I corrected the transactions in Nordstrom, after which I did another update. Seems fine for now. I don't use mobile apps for financial institutions. Thanks.
    Since you don't use the mobile app or Quicken on the Web I advise you to turn off Sync (in Edit / Preferences / Mobile & Web) and keep it turned off. That eliminates one possible source of problems and helps save some time during the daily One Step Updates.

• What changes when Sync is off?
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    What changes when Sync is off?
    Sync is a feature where (a portion of) your desktop Quicken data is uploaded to Quicken's cloud servers. Then you can log in to Quicken Cloud via either the mobile app or the web interface. Those tools are great for being able to check something in your Quicken data while away from your desktop Quicken, or if you want to enter some expenses on the go (such as while traveling away from home). Anything you enter or edit in your Cloud data will then sync back to your desktop data the next time you're using Quicken desktop. The concept is great, but the problem is that, well, there are periodic problems. Quicken desktop and Cloud should always know which data was updated most recently, but as you possibly experienced, sometimes the Cloud server thinks it has newer data, and overwrites what is actually the newest data on the desktop, or vice versa.

Many of us have concluded that it's not worth the convenience of using Quicken Cloud if it can come with these types of problems, so we disable the Sync feature entirely. If Sync is turned off and you have reset your Cloud file, then none of your transaction data resides on the Quicken Cloud. (Every Quicken data file always will have an associated Cloud account, but if Sync is off, it's just for identification purposes for some services — but your data remains only on your desktop file. Which means you can't use the mobile app or web interface. That is the only change.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.