How do I change the unit name as it appears in the tag? (Q Win Rental Property)

I own a duplex for which only one unit is rented out. So in Quicken Business and Rental I have listed the property as Hillside and the unit as 28-1. When I go to fill in a transaction, two options for the tag appear: Hillside (the entire property) and Hillside 28-1 (the rental unit). Unfortunately, this means I can't easily just start typing the letter H in the Tag because it brings up Hillside first. I would like to save time by having the tag appear with a unique letter so I just have to start typing rather than manually pulling down the menu and selecting the unit. Is there a way to do this?

Best Answer

• Barbara Acosta
    Barbara Acosta Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    SOLVED. OK I figured out a work-around. First I backed up the file in case I screwed anything up.

Quicken would not let me edit the tags associated with the property because I had tenants associated with the property. Then I tried deleting the tenants (they were all past tenants). Quicken still wouldn't let me edit the tag because I had transactions associated with that tag. So I created a new property with only one unit. Then I changed this year's transactions using the tag for the new property. Then I hid the old property.

Message to Quicken programmers: this was way too hard. The entire rental property feature is cumbersome and could have been resolved in more elegant ways. Keep trying.

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about editing that tag to be simply "28-1 Hillside"?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Scooterlam
    Scooterlam SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited January 2022
    Do you need both tags?  Can you remove or replace from the tag list,  "Hillside"  and if you rent out the other half, call it "Hillside 28-2"?  Another option perhaps or do you have common property business expenses you need to track?
  • Barbara Acosta
    Quicken will not let me delete Hillside because it says it has a tenant associated with it (even though the tenant was entered for unit 1 only). It looks to me like the link between the unit and the overall property is unbreakable. But maybe there's a workaround?
  • Barbara Acosta
    And it won't let me edit the tag as @Notacpa suggested. The only way to edit that I can see is to go into the Rental tab, pull down Properties and Tenants, and edit the property. When I do that, the unit appears only as 28-1. But when I go to insert the tag in the transaction, it names it Hillside 28-1 automatically.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What about going into your TAGS list (CTRL-L) and changing it there?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Barbara Acosta
    > @NotACPA said:
    > What about going into your TAGS list (CTRL-L) and changing it there?

Tried that. Quicken message: "You can't rename this rental property from the TAG list. Edit the rental property to rename the tag."
  • Barbara Acosta
    Answer ✓
    SOLVED. OK I figured out a work-around. First I backed up the file in case I screwed anything up.

Quicken would not let me edit the tags associated with the property because I had tenants associated with the property. Then I tried deleting the tenants (they were all past tenants). Quicken still wouldn't let me edit the tag because I had transactions associated with that tag. So I created a new property with only one unit. Then I changed this year's transactions using the tag for the new property. Then I hid the old property.

Message to Quicken programmers: this was way too hard. The entire rental property feature is cumbersome and could have been resolved in more elegant ways. Keep trying.
  • Quicken Paloma
    Quicken Paloma Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Barbara Acosta, 

Thank you for reaching out to the Quicken Community. We apologize for the difficulties experienced, although we are glad that you were able to find a solution. Also, the Quicken Community is a user-to-user forum and unfortunately, our developers/team cannot be addressed here. However, I can pass along the feedback to the proper channels. 

Again we apologize for the frustration caused by this issue. If you have any other questions or concerns please let us know. 

-Quicken Paloma
This discussion has been closed.