Last updated: date is not updated (Q Win, new Dashboard)

baxterdale
baxterdale Member ✭✭
On the Home->Dashboard there is a date/time that shows in the upper top right - with the label 'Last updated: <date> <time>

The UI also has a link 'Update now' that initiates the One Step Update.

My date is no longer being updated...It seems to be stuck on 1/9/2022 12:15 PM

Is this a bug? As I would expect it to update after every One Step Update.

Quicken
Version R37.67
Build 27.1.37.67

Best Answer

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022 Answer ✓
    The last online session information is maintained in the runtime.dat file within a Quicken file specific folder in the hidden \ProgramData\Quicken\Inet folder.  I suggest you exit Quicken, rename the runtime.dat file, open Quicken, examine the Last updated: date to confirm you have renamed the appropriate runtime.dat file. If all goes well, you may remove the renamed file.

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @baxterdale&lt;

You are referring to two different "update dates" the one on the home screen and the other on the One Step Update Summary.  Which one is not working for you?

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022 Answer ✓
    The last online session information is maintained in the runtime.dat file within a Quicken file specific folder in the hidden \ProgramData\Quicken\Inet folder.  I suggest you exit Quicken, rename the runtime.dat file, open Quicken, examine the Last updated: date to confirm you have renamed the appropriate runtime.dat file. If all goes well, you may remove the renamed file.
  • baxterdale
    baxterdale Member ✭✭
    @Sherlock
    I did find the file runtime.dat - and renamed it runtimeold.dat - while Quicken was not running.
    I then opened Quicken. Went to the Home->Dashboard tab (with fancy new tiles) - and date still reflected 1/9/2022 - 12:15pm.
    So I then did a One Update Summary - it ran to completion - and still the date is not updated - still showing same date from the 9th.

A new runtime.dat file was created. I inspected this file under ++notepad and only see entries showing "Time=2022_1_14_6_35"

So i have doubts that is where the date is being stored.

Thanks for your suggestion.
  • retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    I have 2 choices under the Home Button. Dashboard and Main View. My last update date is stuck on the Dashboard as December 28, 2021 and my last update shown on the Main View is 1-14-2022 which is today. The data shown in the Dashboard however is the correct data as of 1-14-2022.     May be a bug where the last update date is not updating in the Dashboard.

Windows 11 (2 separate computers)..... Quicken Premier.. HAVE USED QUICKEN CONTINUOUSLY SINCE 1985.

• retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    Dashboard 

Main View

Windows 11 (2 separate computers)..... Quicken Premier.. HAVE USED QUICKEN CONTINUOUSLY SINCE 1985.

• retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    Wonder if the stuck date is just the last date that a Quicken Version was updated since the data on the dashboard is current???? I haven't updated my version since late December R37.62....

• baxterdale
    baxterdale Member ✭✭
    @Retird thanks for calling out the difference between the Dashboard & Main.

I doubt that the date on the dashboard is reflecting when the software was last updated...mostly because if you click the "Update now" link it start the One Update...but here it would be nice if someone from Q would represent what the design intention is.

So an update. I believe that deleting the runtime.dat file has corrected my issue as suggested by @Sherlock - thanks. One note, it did seem to take two shutdowns of Q and two Updates - and now the date is reflected as expected.
  • retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    So is the runtime.dat file not being updated automatically?  I don't know but would think you wouldn't be required to delete it at all... but I agree with your words "but here it would be nice if someone from Q would represent what the design intention is."

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    @Sherlock
    I did find the file runtime.dat - and renamed it runtimeold.dat - while Quicken was not running.
    I then opened Quicken. Went to the Home->Dashboard tab (with fancy new tiles) - and date still reflected 1/9/2022 - 12:15pm.
    So I then did a One Update Summary - it ran to completion - and still the date is not updated - still showing same date from the 9th.

A new runtime.dat file was created. I inspected this file under ++notepad and only see entries showing "Time=2022_1_14_6_35"

So i have doubts that is where the date is being stored.

Thanks for your suggestion.
    Sorry about that.  I have confirmed that the Last updated date on the Dashboard is being maintained within the  Quicken file.  Quicken development is being inconsistent with the source of the displayed downloaded update dates.  Personally, I wish they were all maintained within the file.

Are there any error reported when you perform the update?

Have you tried resetting the Dashboard by disabling it and reenabling it?

Note: We're still using R36.38 and the Last updated date on the Dashboard appears to be functioning properly.
  • baxterdale
    baxterdale Member ✭✭
    No errors reported that I saw.

I made a clumsy update to the thread earlier. It seems after closing Quicken and doing a one step update twice the date is now being updated. - So I tried to mark your initial message as 'Yes' this answers the question.

If I see the issue again I will try disabling and reenabling it - as this might force a read of data.

Regarding Version, generally I take the update asap; so it could be that I inherited some unintended consequence.
  • retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Sherlock mine is still stuck.  How do you disable Dashboard and I will try that...

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    retird said:
    @Sherlock mine is still stuck.  How do you disable Dashboard and I will try that...
    If the only view that appears on the Home tab is the Dashboard view, select the gear icon at the right and turn on Classic Dashboard and the missing classic views should appear.

To remove the Dashboard view from the Home tab, select one of the classic views and the gear icon at the right should allow you to turn off the Dashboard.

• retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Sherlock I already had Classic Dasboard turned on... turned it off... rebooted.... date still stuck... turned it back on... rebooted... still stuck...

• retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    @Sherlock... I also turned off Classic Dashboard then turned off Dashboard and back on...date still stuck...

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    retird said:
    @Sherlock I already had Classic Dasboard turned on... turned it off... rebooted.... date still stuck... turned it back on... rebooted... still stuck...

Did you actually reset the Dashboard view as I suggested or just disable and enable the Classic Dashboard?
    Why are you rebooting?
    Did you perform the Update now after resetting the Dashboard?
    Did regenerate the runtime.dat file as per my original suggestion?

• retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    Sherlock said:
    retird said:

Did you actually reset the Dashboard view as I suggested or just disable and enable the Classic Dashboard?
    Why are you rebooting?
    Did you perform the Update now after resetting the Dashboard?
    Did regenerate the runtime.dat file as per my original suggestion?
    Both and just now ran One Step Update from the Classic Dashboard Screen and it updated the Classic Dasboard data but not the date... still stuck...

• retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Sherlock... must be a bug as we should not need to do anything with the runtime.dat file...

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    No errors reported that I saw.

I made a clumsy update to the thread earlier. It seems after closing Quicken and doing a one step update twice the date is now being updated. - So I tried to mark your initial message as 'Yes' this answers the question.

If I see the issue again I will try disabling and reenabling it - as this might force a read of data.

Regarding Version, generally I take the update asap; so it could be that I inherited some unintended consequence.
    You're braver sole than we are.  We prefer to wait until after a release is no longer being gamma tested and will only pick up a hot fix if we're impacted by the issue it attempt to address.

I'm guessing the date could still be pulled from the runtime.dat and then stored in the Quicken file.  I wonder though why it took two One Step Updates to refresh?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    retird said:
    @Sherlock... must be a bug as we should not need to do anything with the runtime.dat file...
    You're correct.  We should not need to anything with the runtime.dat file.  However, when the runtime.dat file is no longer being properly maintained, we need to coerce Quicken into regenerating the file.  The sledge hammer approach is to perform a clean uninstall, install, and update.  You may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken
  • retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    @Sherlock... I went to my Windows 10 machine having not turned it on in a week.  I did the One Step Update from the Classic Dashboard screen and it updated and I accepted the transactions. The Classic Dashboard Screen is stuck on December 1. 2021 and the data on the Dashboard was updated as of today.  I then went to my Main View screen and it showed the One Step Update with the correct date (today's date)..  So the Main View screen gathers the right date when an update is done but the Classic Dashboard does not...

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    retird said:
    @Sherlock... I went to my Windows 10 machine having not turned it on in a week.  I did the One Step Update from the Classic Dashboard screen and it updated and I accepted the transactions. The Classic Dashboard Screen is stuck on December 1. 2021 and the data on the Dashboard was updated as of today.  I then went to my Main View screen and it showed the One Step Update with the correct date (today's date)..  So the Main View screen gathers the right date when an update is done but the Classic Dashboard does not...
    You performed the One Step Update from the Dashboard view on the Home tab while the Classic Dashboard was enabled.  The Last updated date on your Dashboard view on the Home tab is stuck.  What are you going to do about it?

Assuming Quicken obtains the date displayed in the Last updated date on Dashboard view on the Home tab from the runtime.dat file and field isn't updating, I suggested coercing Quicken into regenerating the runtime.dat file.  Have you done as I suggested?
  • retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    Sherlock said:
    retird said:
    You performed the One Step Update from the Dashboard view on the Home tab while the Classic Dashboard was enabled.  The Last updated date on Dashboard view on the Home tab is stuck.  What are you going to do about it?

Assuming Quicken obtains the date displayed in the Last updated date on Dashboard view on the Home tab from the runtime.dat file and field isn't updating, I suggested coercing Quicken into regenerating the runtime.dat file.  Have you done as I suggested?
    I miss-typed when I said Dashboard... All was done on the Classic Dashboard not Dashboard... got to be a bug... 2 computers same issue here  Win10 and Win11 machines...

• retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Sherlock... I done testing this.... I will just remember the date on the Classic Dashboard doesn't update... maybe it will get fixed...

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    retird said:
    @Sherlock... I done testing this.... I will just remember the date on the Classic Dashboard doesn't update... maybe it will get fixed...
    Again, you performed the One Step Update from the Dashboard view on the Home tab while the Classic Dashboard was enabled. 

If you want Quicken to potentially address the issue you're experiencing, I suggest you report the issue to Quicken: select Help > Report a problem...

Note: I'm not able to reproduce the issue with R36.38 and it appears @baxterdale may have resolved the issue experienced on R37.67.
  • retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    @Sherlock... I did the OSU from the Classic Dashboard view on the Home Tab. I have no Dasboard view under the Home Tab.. This is a minor issue and I'm dealing with another Quicken issue between my Bank, Intuit, and Quicken and will be having a Conference Call with my Bank and Intuit in a few days The issue has been unresolved for over a year and yes I reported it numerous times to Quicken who never took ownership of the issue.

@baxterdale messed with the runtime.dat file which should not be necessary.  I'll not mess with the file nor report this but there are Quicken folks reading these post so they are aware of the issue... nuff said... thx for your concerns tho...

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    retird said:
    @Sherlock... I did the OSU from the Classic Dashboard view on the Home Tab. I have no Dasboard view under the Home Tab.. This is a minor issue and I'm dealing with another Quicken issue between my Bank, Intuit, and Quicken and will be having a Conference Call with my Bank and Intuit in a few days The issue has been unresolved for over a year and yes I reported it numerous times to Quicken who never took ownership of the issue.

@baxterdale messed with the runtime.dat file which should not be necessary.  I'll not mess with the file nor report this but there are Quicken folks reading these post so they are aware of the issue... nuff said... thx for your concerns tho...
    The image you provided earlier shows the Dashboard view selected on the Home tab with Classic Dashboard enabled.   You do not have a view named Classic Dashboard on the Home tab.
  • retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    Sherlock said:
    retird said:

The image you provided earlier shows the Dashboard view selected on the Home tab with Classic Dashboard enabled.   You do not have a view named Classic Dashboard on the Home tab.
    The tab under the Home tab has never said Classic Dashboard whether the Classic is turned off or on it always says just Dashboard...

• retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    @herlock I wouldn't be suprised if @baxterdale does some updates over the next few days and the date is stuck again... I hope he gives us an update in a few days...

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    retird said:
    @herlock I wouldn't be suprised if @baxterdale does some updates over the next few days and the date is stuck again... I hope he gives us an update in a few days...
    We'll see.  And, if regenerating the runtime.dat resolves the issue again.  

If you do have the time, try the clean uninstall, install and update I suggested earlier.

• retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    Sherlock said:
    retird said:
    We'll see.  And, if regenerating the runtime.dat resolves the issue again.  

If you do have the time, try the clean uninstall, install and update I suggested earlier.

Been there, done that several times since the Schwab issue came our way...even created new Quicken files... on 2 computers... WIN10 and WIIN 11...

EDIT: @Sherlock If he has to regenerate the .dat file again then the issues never got fixed with the first regeneration...

This discussion has been closed.