Why are my Fidelity statements (for bonds) inconsistent with my Quicken holdings?

Jay2456
Jay2456 Member ✭✭
In my Fidelity IRA account reflected in Quicken holdings, my stock holdings are consistent with the Fidelity statements but the bond holdings in some cases are not. Most of the bond holdings reflected are generally correct (except the price of the bonds differ in a small way) but the issue is that in three cases, a NEGATIVE number of bonds is shown in Holdings for bonds sold or redeemed in 2021. For example, one of the three bonds was redeemed in May 2021 and the proceeds were deposited into my account. The Quicken transaction register for this account accurately reflects the bond redemption and proceeds being deposited into cash, but the bond is presently showing in the Holdings screen in Quicken as a negative number of shares and value. It shouldn't be showing in the Holdings page at all. How can I fix this? Thanks. FYI, I am using Windows 10 and latest Quicken Version R37.64 Build 27.1.37.64.
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022 Answer ✓
    Is the original purchase transaction shown in the transactions history of the Bond security?  You should be able to easily see that in Security Details for that Bond. 
    If you do not see it listed, you might want to try manually entering that purchase transaction into the register and then editing the Bond redemption transaction to link it to that Bond.
    If you do see it listed in Security Details but do not see the Bond redemption transaction listed there, then you might want to edit the Bond redemption transaction to see if it needs to be linked to that Bond.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Is the negative number a small amount...perhaps as little as just cents? 
    Or is the negative number the value the exact inverse of the cash received from the bonds sale/redemption?

• Jay2456
    Jay2456 Member ✭✭
    The negative number represents the sale value of a previously called or redeemed bond e.g. Sysco Corp $-35,000.
  • Boatnmaniac
    edited January 2022 Answer ✓
    Is the original purchase transaction shown in the transactions history of the Bond security?  You should be able to easily see that in Security Details for that Bond. 
    If you do not see it listed, you might want to try manually entering that purchase transaction into the register and then editing the Bond redemption transaction to link it to that Bond.
    If you do see it listed in Security Details but do not see the Bond redemption transaction listed there, then you might want to edit the Bond redemption transaction to see if it needs to be linked to that Bond.

• Jay2456
    Jay2456 Member ✭✭
    Thanks for your comments. Helpful in resolving. The problem was the CUSIP number wasnt always attached to the transaction so redemptions happened without being linked to the owned bond.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Ah, yes, the CUSIP.  Glad you got it figured out and fixed.

This discussion has been closed.