Why is Quicken have such problems with capital one

I have not been able to connect quicken to capital one since last week. The error is cc-501 which quicken says is its issue. This has happened multiple times over the past year. I see from the forum that this seems to be a common problem.[Removed-Disruptive/Soliciting] After 25 years I am annoyed enough to start learning new software and switch. When i contacted support today the support person could not help and I have to call again during the week.

Answers

• Dave Erickson
    Dave Erickson Member ✭✭
    edited January 2022
    totally agree....Ive been fighting the same battle about downloading transactions with NBKC banking accts. works for awhile(few days) then failures(now for over 2 wks). Appears to be happening with several institutions as well....ex. citi, schwab, etc., etc... [Removed-Disruptive/Soliciting]
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    mschindl said:
    I have not been able to connect quicken to capital one since last week. The error is cc-501 which quicken says is its issue. This has happened multiple times over the past year. I see from the forum that this seems to be a common problem.[Removed-Disruptive/Soliciting] After 25 years I am annoyed enough to start learning new software and switch. When i contacted support today the support person could not help and I have to call again during the week.
    My solution to the CapOne problems is to go to the website and download a .QFX file and import it.  It has always worked for me.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Kenneth Goodwin
    Kenneth Goodwin Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    I suspect the bank changes its online security features/protocol, Quicken doesn't get the word and thus the online service feature no longer works. [Removed-Disruptive] Downloading the quicken file from the account's website is a very good suggestion.
  • mschindl
    mschindl Member ✭✭
    According to Quicken support the algorithm for encrypting ID's and passwords messes up the ID and passwords so it cannot log into the bank. They hope to get it fixed eventually, but no promises. If I try it three times in one day there is a good chance my bank will lock me out of the on-line service. Sorry Kenneth, but this is on Quicken and not the bank.
  • mschindl
    mschindl Member ✭✭
    edited January 2022
    [Removed-Unhelpful/Disruptive]
  • mschindl
    mschindl Member ✭✭
    edited February 2022
    Last Monday I chatted with support and might have resolved my issue, though i still have to reset my accounts every time that I try to download. Even though Quicken is still saying they have an ongoing issue with cc-501. It seems that if you took up Quicken's offer to add 5g to your Dropbox account and stay signed in and use it to synch it can mess up the Quicken files. We did a lot of backups and created copies of the files closed onedrive and dropbox and then reconnected my accounts. Also, I did not know there is a SUPER Validate file function that we did twice before we reconnected. [Removed - Speculation/Inaccurate]
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are going through so much trouble and time to do One Step Updates with CapOne, why not just change over to Web Connect .QFX file downloads?  I do so for two CapOne credit cards and probably spend less time than you do.  It works for me every time.

• mschindl
    mschindl Member ✭✭
    So you recommend doing a manual download? and for that I pay a subscription fee? I have been using quicken even longer than you and until recently had no problems with downloads or reconciliations. Frankly I am going to give up Quicken when my subscription expires and use a different product. I am not sure that the new Quicken management is even trying to stay in business. I have not even tried to complain about the reconciliation issue because there is no point.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You pay for the ability to import transactions in a format that Quicken uses to prevent duplicates and enter them only into the correct account.  Whether that be via OSU or manual .QFX file downloads, either one is quicker and less mistake prone then manual entry of those transactions.
    What you do is your choice.

This discussion has been closed.