Reconciliation not pulling all transcation by date

AndreU
AndreU Member ✭✭
I have been using quicken for 10+ years, first time I am seeing this one. Using the subscription version, currently on R 37.67, the most recent.

Reconciling credit card account against paper statements, transactions are downloaded and cleared (Bank of America)

Entered the ending statement date, 1/7/22, entered the Charges, Payment and ending balance as per my statement.

Did not auto reconcile so I marked all transactions un-reconciled and then checked of each item line-by-line.

I am showing a balance of $-143.90. Looking at my statement, 3 transactions were not included (they are the sum of $-143.90). Per the statement, these were on or before the closing date of 1/7/22.

Cant figure out how to get these transaction into the reconciliation set. I adjusted their dates earlier than 1/7/22 but they do not pull into the reconciliation.

How do I get these onto the reconciliation screen so a can check them off and balance the account?
Tagged:

Best Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Quicken doesn't pull in downloaded transactions by the date you enter.  It pulls them in by the downloaded posting date.  You can turn on the downloaded posting date column to see what was downloaded and check from there.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi @AndreU,

I suspect that you are using the Express Web Connect to download transactions in this particular account.  The posting date for such transactions may incorrectly be reported as the date downloaded by Quicken, rather than the bank's cleared date.  It is therefore best to double check any dates close to the reconciliation as-of date, before you do a reconciliation.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Quicken doesn't pull in downloaded transactions by the date you enter.  It pulls them in by the downloaded posting date.  You can turn on the downloaded posting date column to see what was downloaded and check from there.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • AndreU
    AndreU Member ✭✭
    Thanks Chris, just figured that out. Not sure why Q would post a date other then the posted date from the bank statements. I ended up having to delete the transaction and manually adding them back in again to get to reconciliation. One of the worst applications on my PC....
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @AndreU

So, I am a little confused by your description.  You have identified 3 transactions that account for the "difference" between the balance of the account in your Quicken datafile, and the balance on the paper credit card statement - is that correct?

If so, do those 3 transactions appear on your paper credit card statement or not?  If they appear on the paper credit card statement, do they appear in your Quicken credit card account register?  And, in the Quicken credit card account, are they marked cleared or not?

Get back to me and we'll go from there.

Frankx

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• AndreU
    AndreU Member ✭✭
    Yes, they are on my paper statement with a transaction date of 1/6 on two and 1/7 on the other. My statement closing date was 1/7.

They were all on my register with C - cleared flag. On reconciliation, I put 1/7 as the closing date. These three transactions did not pull across to reconcile register.

I looked at the Posting date in Q, all three showed as 1/8. Paper said otherwise. I checked online banking, they showed as shown on the paper.

Why would a statement download from the bank reflect the incorrect date in Q?
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi @AndreU,

I suspect that you are using the Express Web Connect to download transactions in this particular account.  The posting date for such transactions may incorrectly be reported as the date downloaded by Quicken, rather than the bank's cleared date.  It is therefore best to double check any dates close to the reconciliation as-of date, before you do a reconciliation.

Frankx

• AndreU
    AndreU Member ✭✭
    That;s correct Frankx. Will keep an eye on that. I recall that had a some issues like this on a few statements, but it has been a while since then. Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.