After reconciling things just fine--total balances are way off

Hi, have been using Quicken for decades. I have Windows subscription running on Windows 11. Was doing my routine manual reconciliation of credit card bills, and reconciled several of the bills just fine. But then the total balance for that credit card is suddenly hundreds of dollars less than it should be in strange amounts I cannot match to anything. I can't even figure out what Quicken did for those balances to be way off all of a sudden. (And I didn't change any items while reconciling--it was all straightforward until I saw the messed up final balances.) I now can't trust the credit card balances in Quicken at all. Anyone have this problem lately? Any ideas as to what could be causing it and how to fix?
Tagged:

Best Answer

• cruciverbalist
    cruciverbalist Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    See what your opening balance was in this account. It probably should have been zero, unless you transferred the account from another card.
    Quicken is altering the opening balance of my checking account, and I too am unable to balance, all of a sudden. This has happened monthly since November 2021.
    Resetting the opening balance to $0.00 fixes the problem.
    Your problem sounds similar to mine in its random occurrence.

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you download credit card transactions, or do you enter them manually? Or do you enter them manually then match to downloaded transactions?
    QWin Premier subscription
  • cruciverbalist
    cruciverbalist Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    See what your opening balance was in this account. It probably should have been zero, unless you transferred the account from another card.
    Quicken is altering the opening balance of my checking account, and I too am unable to balance, all of a sudden. This has happened monthly since November 2021.
    Resetting the opening balance to $0.00 fixes the problem.
    Your problem sounds similar to mine in its random occurrence.
  • Thanks for both your comments. Part of this was me having a senior moment, but the resetting to zero helped. That date was when I first started noticing problems (because I was going back in time to reconcile statements several months hold). Problem fixed...super relieved.
This discussion has been closed.