Merging scheduled and downloaded transactions

I recently migrated from the Windows version to Quicken for Mac. Still getting used to a lot differences. One thing that's different is when I use Bank of America online bill pay. I used to see the transaction immediately as a check with a number generated by the system. I could then assign it as a transfer to the account I paid. When the check cleared, Quicken used to mark it so. With the Mac version I seem to get double entries (see attached). How do merge these or what's a good fix that I'm not seeing in terms of accounting?

Best Answer

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    I'm guessing the latest version of Q4Mac is starting to get optimized for Apple M series chips?
    Quicken Mac does run natively on M1 Macs. (That is, it's not using the Rosetta2 emulator for Intel apps; it's compiled as a Universal binary, meaning it runs natively on M1 Macs.)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    I recently migrated from the Windows version to Quicken for Mac. Still getting used to a lot differences. One thing that's different is when I use Bank of America online bill pay. I used to see the transaction immediately as a check with a number generated by the system. I could then assign it as a transfer to the account I paid. When the check cleared, Quicken used to mark it so. With the Mac version I seem to get double entries (see attached). How do merge these or what's a good fix that I'm not seeing in terms of accounting?
    Hello @4pickering,

I am sorry for any confusion you may have experienced. Thank you for speaking with us at the Quicken Community and bringing this subject up for discussion.

In this case, you would match the transaction featuring the blue envelope icon with the transaction featuring the white envelope by dragging them atop one another. The two need to be matched when making use of Direct Connect Bill Pay.

One note: you may have to unmatch the transaction with the blue envelope if it doesn't appear to match. You can do this by right-clicking or controI-clicking this transaction and rejecting the match. I hope this provides necessary clarification.

Feel free to reach out again with any further questions or concerns. 

Thanks,

Quicken Jared 
  • 4pickering
    4pickering Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the reply, that makes perfect sense to me. It doesn't seem to be working as you describe. The manual drag-drop didn't work - I took the blue envelope and dropped it on top of the white, then tried the other way. So I then right-clicked the blue and chose Reject Automatic transaction match. That left me with 3 entries related (see attached). I'm not sure why there'd be 3. I can match two of them, but then I have to delete the third and that throws off me balance. I don't understand why this happens.
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the reply, that makes perfect sense to me. It doesn't seem to be working as you describe. The manual drag-drop didn't work - I took the blue envelope and dropped it on top of the white, then tried the other way. So I then right-clicked the blue and chose Reject Automatic transaction match. That left me with 3 entries related (see attached). I'm not sure why there'd be 3. I can match two of them, but then I have to delete the third and that throws off me balance. I don't understand why this happens.
    @4pickering,

I appreciate that you took the opportunity to follow up with me about this, and all of the details you are providing. This kind of data always helps.

For now, you can delete the transaction with the orange 'envelope' icon, and try to drag and drop the remaining white- and blue-enveloped transactions again. If they are still refusing to match, highlight the white envelope transaction by clicking on it and then hold down the Option key and clicking Delete on the bottom left-hand corner of the register. You will select Change to Manual from the drop-down menu, the transaction should at that point have its white envelope icon changed to an orange envelope or pencil icon. This should enable you to drag and drop to match the transactions, if necessary. 

I am happy to continue working with you on this, if there are any further developments, and look forward to any reply you may be able to provide. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • 4pickering
    4pickering Member ✭✭
    Again thank you very much. I deeply appreciate the guidance. My perspective is there is a fundamental difference in the way transactions are downloaded and matched between Windows and Mac versions. I guess it bothers me that it's not more seamless migrating to Q4Mac, but such is life. I spent some time unmatching to get orange envelopes and then deleting all those, which allowed me to rematch the remaining transactions. Feels kinda like a kludge, but I get it and all I care about is reconciling my accounts. It works and my downloads as of this AM all now match up. VICTORY!

On a separate note, performance seems a little slow. I have a 10-year-old i7 Macbook Pro (mid-2012 w/2.9 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7 & 16GB RAM). One of the reasons I migrated to Q4Mac was I have been thinking about upgrading my laptop and since running a VM for windows was more of a headache on new Macs, I thought I should bite the bullet and migrate to a native app. The windows version I ran in a VM was absolutely fine - never perceived any performance problems. I'm guessing the latest version of Q4Mac is starting to get optimized for Apple M series chips?
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    I'm guessing the latest version of Q4Mac is starting to get optimized for Apple M series chips?
    Quicken Mac does run natively on M1 Macs. (That is, it's not using the Rosetta2 emulator for Intel apps; it's compiled as a Universal binary, meaning it runs natively on M1 Macs.)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.