The portfolio view shows different values for Gain/Loss in 1 month

Options
RIB397
RIB397 Member ✭✭
When I view the portfolio view, I have one lot for an ETF investment but the gain/loss for 1 month is different for the lot and the summary value. The lot is positive and the summary is negative. Taking either value and dividing it by the cost basis does not equal the Gain/Loss Percent for 1 month in either case. This should be a simple calculation, I believe.

Best Answer

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    When Quicken calculates the 1-month gain/loss for the security on today's date, it appears to be using the current value of the holding and the value of the holding 1 month ago and, when calculating the 1-month gain/loss for the lot, it appears to be using the most recent price quote and first available price quote from 1 month ago.

For example, suppose you hold 100 shares of security with the following price history:

12/17/2021  $10
    12/20/2021  $9
    01/18/2022  $8

Today (01/19/2022), Quicken will calculate the 1-month gain for the security as -$200 or -20%  while the lot will be calculated as -$100 or - 10%.

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    When Quicken calculates the 1-month gain/loss for the security on today's date, it appears to be using the current value of the holding and the value of the holding 1 month ago and, when calculating the 1-month gain/loss for the lot, it appears to be using the most recent price quote and first available price quote from 1 month ago.

For example, suppose you hold 100 shares of security with the following price history:

12/17/2021  $10
    12/20/2021  $9
    01/18/2022  $8

Today (01/19/2022), Quicken will calculate the 1-month gain for the security as -$200 or -20%  while the lot will be calculated as -$100 or - 10%.
  • RIB397
    RIB397 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thank you for a very clear answer. I have been struggling with this for a while.
This discussion has been closed.