With multiple CapitalOne accounts, downloaded transactions all go into just one account

Allan Trautman
Allan Trautman Member ✭✭
I have multiple 360 Savings accounts with CapitalOne. Starting, I believe, at the beginning of this month, all downloaded transactions were credited to one account rather than their respective accounts. I reset the connections for and re-authorized all four accounts, but the problem persists. Quicken has gone as far back as May of last year in the register to alter previously-reconciled transactions. Has anyone found a solution to this, or is it related to the ongoing CapitalOne authorization issue?

Answers

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    I have multiple 360 Savings accounts with CapitalOne. Starting, I believe, at the beginning of this month, all downloaded transactions were credited to one account rather than their respective accounts. I reset the connections for and re-authorized all four accounts, but the problem persists. Quicken has gone as far back as May of last year in the register to alter previously-reconciled transactions. Has anyone found a solution to this, or is it related to the ongoing CapitalOne authorization issue?
    Hello @Allan Trautman,

I apologize that you are being troubled by this issue. I appreciate that you are taking the time to speak with us about this issue here on the Quicken Community. 

First, save a backup by going to File > Save a Backup in the menu at the top of the screen while Quicken is open. Be sure to do this often whenever operating the Quicken app, as it is a safeguard against data loss in situations such as these. Next, go to File > New in the same menu and select Start from scratch. Now, attempt add each of your CapitalOne accounts by clicking the Add Account button, marked with the '+' icon in the upper left-hand corner of the Quicken window. We are looking to see if the last 90 days' worth of transactions each download into the proper accounts.

Keep me posted about any possible developments whenever you should have the chance, as I look forward to further correspondence about this.

Best regards,

Quicken Jared 
  • Yes, I did as you suggested and all downloads were sorted into their proper accounts. Does this mean I've got some file corruption in my regular file?
  • Quicken Jared
    Yes, I did as you suggested and all downloads were sorted into their proper accounts. Does this mean I've got some file corruption in my regular file?
    @Allan Trautman

I thank you for continuing to follow up with me about this, and I appreciate your patience. Also, I am glad that we are, at the very least, seeing a ray of hope here.

Before I can speak to the status of the original data file, I do have another question about it: have you ever stored this file on an external drive, or a cloud storage service of some kind? Opening or restoring data files from these sources can cause irregular behavior, to be certain. Just for future reference, you can always locate the data file and track where it is being stored by going to File > Show "(Data File name will be here)" in Finder in the menu at the top of the screen while the Quicken App is running. 

I hope this is helpful, and I eagerly await your reply, if you have the opportunity to continue following up with us about this here on the Quicken Community.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Your intuition is correct again. It looks like sometime last year my file got moved to the iCloud documents folder. I have already moved it back into my local Library folder, where it used to reside. Now what?
  • Quicken Jared
    Your intuition is correct again. It looks like sometime last year my file got moved to the iCloud documents folder. I have already moved it back into my local Library folder, where it used to reside. Now what?
    @Allan Trautman,

Thanks again for keeping in touch with me. Now that we've relocated the file, save a backup once again and then go into each of your Wells Fargo accounts and then go to the Settings menu via the 'gear' icon in the lower right-hand corner of the Quicken window. Next, go to the Downloads tab and click Disconnect Account. Do this for each CapitalOne account. Now, quit Quicken. 

When you reopen the application, attempt to link the accounts by going to Settings > Downloads > Connect Account, and be sure that the Add option does not appear under the Action column if and when the Account Status menu appears.

I hope this helps, and I will be happy to hear from you, should you be able to provide any future updates.

Thanks,

Quicken Jared 
  • OK, I followed your instructions. Unfortunately, all transactions for all four accounts going back to May of 2021 were entered into just one of the accounts. Same issue as before.
    Possibly related: while waiting for all of my accounts to update, I get a sync error twice (see attached screenshot). I don't know which two accounts are generating these.
    What do you suggest as my next step?
  • Quicken Jared
    OK, I followed your instructions. Unfortunately, all transactions for all four accounts going back to May of 2021 were entered into just one of the accounts. Same issue as before.
    Possibly related: while waiting for all of my accounts to update, I get a sync error twice (see attached screenshot). I don't know which two accounts are generating these.
    What do you suggest as my next step?
    @Allan Trautman,  

Thanks again for keeping me in the loop about new developments, and I am sorry to hear that the problem remains. 

Be sure - I'm sure this sounds repetitive, but it really is necessary - to save a backup, and then go to Quicken > Preferences > Connected Services in the menu at the top of the screen while Quicken is open and click Reset, next to your Cloud account information. This is the first step in addressing these sync errors, and hopefully that resolves those alerts that you are receiving.

Additionally, you might try disconnecting the single account that seems to be eating all of the transactions the next time you choose to update, and leave the rest connected.

I hope this helps, and I will continue to follow up as often as possible with additional information and recommendations.

Best wishes,

Quicken Jared 
  • OK, so here's what I did. First, I wanted to go back to yesterday's backup, which I made after I corrected all four of those accounts by hand and disconnected them from online downloads. Quicken asked me to reset the connection (because we went back to an older file), which you wanted me to do anyway. I saved the new file and when the reset finished, those four accounts were worse than before. Changes were made all the way back to 2019 in the one account that seems to be collecting all the data—even though all four were disconnected from online downloads.
    So... what's next?
  • You responded to my last message, but your message won't load. When I click on the notice, I see:
    Comment Not Found
    The page you were looking for could not be found.
    Can you post that to me again? Or email it to me in full?
  • Hello @Allan Trautman,

Thank you for continuing to update us on your progress.

Please restore a backup from a time frame before this issue started. Based on your previous comments, it looks like that would be about a month ago. Make sure the file you restore is not on the iCloud. Then try updating your accounts. 

If the transactions still go into one account, I would try restoring another backup from a little further back until you find the last one that was working properly.

Again, you will want to make sure that the files you restore are not on iCloud or being synced to iCloud.

Do let us know how this goes, thank you!

Quicken Alyssa

• Allan Trautman
    Allan Trautman Member ✭✭
    edited January 2022
    UPDATE:

In doing some troubleshooting on the file, I made a discovery. One factor I hadn't taken into account previously was that the CapitalOne accounts are all used as pass-through accounts. That is, most of the transactions in those accounts are transfers to or from my regular checking account. The real problem was not how CapitalOne transactions were downloaded but the fact that the linked transactions were were "misbehaving" when I downloaded new transactions in my checking account. I think something may have changed on the first of the year—either the checking account changed some download settings, or the internal identification of each of the four CapitalOne accounts were updated in such a way that all those transfers to and from checking went to only one of the CapitalOne accounts.

I went back to the last backup before the end of the year, disconnected all my banking accounts and balanced and reconciled them all. I also went into the list of Rules and deleted anything having to do with a transfer in or out of checking, thinking this would prevent any future automatic mis-classification. I then connected each account, one at a time to make sure nothing went haywire. (I saved a backup after each successful connection, just in case.)

Eventually, I was able to get the entire file back up to present day, fully reconciled. Whew! I'll keep an eye on it, of course, to make sure future downloads don't behave badly, but for the time being I think the problem is solved!

Thanks for you help!
This discussion has been closed.